The Honeybee’s Final Sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh that one - so many times copied and loads of upset at non-attribution: which I can understand as a photographer. Found one of mine on The Kennedy Center website the other day. Not the first time.

Er! ! We are talking about a bee sting ? Had thousands over the years and not all resulting in the death of a bee!
Bees sting and pay the price everyday. So, somebody photographs it and arms are thrown in the air and hands wrung!
Even sun hives house bees that sting with alacrity !
Bees die ,perhaps a little graphic illustration serves to give some peeps a reality check?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Er! ! We are talking about a bee sting ? Had thousands over the years and not all resulting in the death of a bee!
Bees sting and pay the price everyday. So, somebody photographs it and arms are thrown in the air and hands wrung!
Even sun hives house bees that sting with alacrity !
Bees die ,perhaps a little graphic illustration serves to give some peeps a reality check?
VM

have you a method to enable them to fly away intact? Mine is to press the site of the sting which sometimes helps them but not always

Watching a bee sting me on the arm - and then attempt to remove the sting by revolving one way and then the other - was one of the most fascinating 5 minutes of my life.

The bee succeeded and flew away.

Never happens on my wristies tho'.. I resemble a bear too much..

Depends how deep stinger is plunged .Oft times a bee will barely plant their sting, other times when truly on the warpath they ram it home for keeps ,in this case no amount of help will save the bee !
This business of self sacrifice is a human thing ?Most insect enemies can be stung and the stinger retracted readily ,it's only when the elastic skin of mammalian and reptilian animals (I include birds) are stung does it result in the death of the bee!
The fact that the venom sacs continue pumping after being detached from the bee is probably a reaction to the trauma . I can't see the bee having prior knowledge of this?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back