Under 3 feet/over 3 miles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How important is this? I was talking to a beekeeper and she reckoned that if you pop a swarm into a new hive at night they orient to it fine the next day regardless of where they were caught.

Also - I’m hoping to catch a swarm. Yesterday there was a honeybee in the office near my hive. Would it have been worth catching her and putting her in the hive on the off chance she was scouting for digs? Or is it unlikely? Or does it just not work like that?
Your bumblebee would be happier making her nest in an old blue tits nest. I found one when I tried to clean out an extractor vent after the blue tits had moved on. Explains why I was always accompanied by Humbel bees when I went to use the downstairs wc

Brilliant! Do they need old comb/frames in?
Preferably. If not available add some lemongrass oil (just a few drops on eg a piece of cardboard).
If a beekeeper has a bit of propolis you can beg you could dissolve it in alcohol (meths) and paint some of the inside with it.
As I recall Seeley reckoned an entrance towards the bottom was best, not too large.

These do the job - small hole in the side, ideal size - lighter than timber ... and much less expensive ..

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9484768
I’ve tried these. They get super hot if even the slightest direct sun hits them so I’d say best used in complete shade. I haven’t had a swarm in mine yet but can’t see why they shouldn’t work, especially in a shady spot. Have you used them to good effect?

Yes ... caught a swarm in one last year - on the roof of my workshop but it is a North facing slope and to some extent shaded by trees. I think you are right about the black soaking up the heat - if they were in full sun I woud be inclined to put a bit of insulation round them. Perversely, I moved the swarm I caught into a Paynes modified 8 frame nuc - and two days later they absconded ! Clearly did not like the position I put them in - no energy lines !

Swarms will settle anywhere that suits them. Rather than anecdotal evidence, Tom Seeley actually did some scientific experiments to determine their preferences.

Swarms will settle anywhere that suits them. Rather than anecdotal evidence, Tom Seeley actually did some scientific experiments to determine their preferences.
Advice and a link to Seeleys's paper on Swarm catching has been proffered to the OP on another thread - and very good advice it is too - athough the critical dimension that Seeley put forward is 40 litres ... the same size as the Argos plastic boxes.

Latest posts

Back