Terrible honey crop and depleted stores!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greandog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all. I have three hives on the go at the moment (all on double brood). One has gone significantly better then the other two. However this has only produced one filled super this season (and this was a swarm from around May). However my other two hives have not even looked at their super and on inspection are surprisingly pretty much empty of stores (both have filled about 1.5 brood boxes) - to the point that they look like they need feeding - hardly any honey or pollen. Has anyone else experienced this this season? Am in the south west in Somerset. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you think they need feeding then feed them.

If there are no stores you won't be getting honey this year anyway so there is nothing to lose by feeding (and starting varroa Tx.). If you don't feed and they need it there is everything to lose.

Out of interest, what sort of bees?

@greandog this is reported across most of the nation. Certainly it has been my experience. Some in Wales are irritatingly talking of running out of supers but you will have HUGE variations across the UK and even across quite short distances because of the nature of the variations in the weather. eg for me, lots of rain at the right time, Happy Days but then also when the blackberry flowered, oops. For someone a bit north, perhaps the blackberry hit the sunny window in mid-July etc. Don't beat yourself up. DO check for disease and take strong well-fed colonies into winter and we can all try again next year...

I think those that got a decent July flow did ok but the entire June blackberry/lime was a wash out. Always worth keeping an eye on those colonies that don’t develop in comparison to the neighbouring hives as well. You often find poor queens or high levels of varroa. See what drops you get when treating, it may help you out in similar situations in the future. Ian

Not only has it been a good year for honey where I am, but I've an amazing amount of propolis. I just wish I used it.

I have a very decent flow on at the mo in a village location I was going to start vaping the seven colonies end of week in the apiary but will wait till next week now. Supers added for room on strong colonies filling up again and some capped, they are on some thing and lots of white pollen in the baskets coming back.. No idea what they are on.

I have 4 hives, one I am sure swarmed and I missed it.

Of my 3 "good" hives, one has 4 supers, another 3, then the final hive, that made most my honey last year, only got its 1st super a few of week ago! Tbh, I dont think they will fill the super, but brood box was getting full, so I thought they can at least get it drawn for next year.

So never mind variations across the UK , there seems to be variations across my garden.

I have 4 hives, one I am sure swarmed and I missed it.

Of my 3 "good" hives, one has 4 supers, another 3, then the final hive, that made most my honey last year, only got its 1st super a few of week ago! Tbh, I dont think they will fill the super, but brood box was getting full, so I thought they can at least get it drawn for next year.

So never mind variations across the UK , there seems to be variations across my garden.
If all my hives were as good as my best I would have three times the actual honey I have (and be worn out)

Variations do occur and not uncommon in the same apiary with colonies, no one colony is the exact same one as last as few months ago let a lone a year.
Today all seven colonies were absolutely on it and very busy.

HB could be nearby as it is nearly every where but the fact that not one bee has a white stripe I say no, the loads are all in the legs pollen basket neatly packed in.

A multi million £££ garden centre is nearby 1k away and in fact there are a few others nearby so they may be paying them a visit and finding something.

Last edited:
I have a very decent flow on at the mo in a village location I was going to start vaping the seven colonies end of week in the apiary but will wait till next week now. Supers added for room on strong colonies filling up again and some capped, they are on some thing and lots of white pollen in the baskets coming back.. No idea what they are on.
Himalayan balsam do you have bees with white strips down there thorax and abdomen?

I’m interested you vape in the summer when there is a lot of brood. How many time do you vape and at what intervals?

I vape initially 3 x and as dani say's at a max 5 day cycle, if the mite fall isn't < 20 after this I give #4. Two colonies last year I had to vape a 6th time to see < 20 mites. No use aiming for 0 mites as it's not going to happen, the efficacy from the science is that one can expect 95%.

The 3 or 4 x application on a 4 or 5 day max cycle is cover a whole brood period, if drone brood is present (hopefully not) then one needs to make sure the application covers 24 days.

I give a vape around the equinox in December, but this year may have to give a a vape late Oct or early Nov as I have found out there is non treater nearby in the village with 10 colonies, need to be mindful of them possibly being mitebombs and could be why I had to vape extra last year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back