Syrup Brix?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichbinpaul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
TBH & Langstroth
Does anyone know the correct brix reading for 2:1 granulated sugar syrup?

I don't know, sorry, but wondering why would would want to know? I don't think it would be useful to try to use that to calibrate would it?

I don't know, sorry, but wondering why would would want to know? I don't think it would be useful to try to use that to calibrate would it?

Oh its not critical to anything really, I picked up a refractometer at a boot sale and its range is outside of what is reqd for Honey unfortunately, I just wondered if I could use it to look at batches of syrup, and curiosity, I'm not trying to light a fire under Finmans behind or anything

By definition Brix is the w/w concentration of sucrose in water. Units usually used are grams of sucrose per 100 grams of solution, but any suitable units will apply (not pounds and pints!).

That would mean that the value for 2:1 would be 66.6666 recurring? So 67 is close enough, or as close as one is likely to get with that item.

RAB

I have two. One reading 0-30% sugar and one reading 0-30% water (approx ranges). One is used for fermentations and one for honey; I rarely think in Brix units although the wine variant may not be scaled as %.

There are clearly other ranges for other duties, but higher solids samples can usually be easily diluted (by weight, of course) to enable a reading on a lower Brix scale variant.

Any quantitative solution can be used as a calibration point; even honey can be diluted quantitatively to check that the calibration is close to the truth. Sort of using water as an internal standard. Probably a better method of checking than using any old oil as a definitive standard.

RAB

The one I have is an ATAGO 0-20% probably for p*ss sampling of sugar!?

1:1 = 50 deg Brix

2:1 = 65 deg Brix

Note: 65% concentration is normally the highest sugar concentration which can be achieved by beekeepers mixing their own syrup.
At concentrations above this, sugar is likely to come back out of solution, especially at lower temperatures.

The one I have is an ATAGO 0-20% probably for p*ss sampling of sugar!?
If you look at the small pocket refractometers offered on ebay they sell to one of two groups, beekeepers looking at about 10-30% water and brewers/winemakers looking at 80-100% water. Those are the markets where they can be made in numbers and be sold at around 20 quid from Hong Kong. For wider or other percentages the market is either scientific or commercial (such as trading standards) and you would be paying professional prices.

If you look at the small pocket refractometers offered on ebay they sell to one of two groups, beekeepers looking at about 10-30% water and brewers/winemakers looking at 80-100% water. Those are the markets where they can be made in numbers and be sold at around 20 quid from Hong Kong. For wider or other percentages the market is either scientific or commercial (such as trading standards) and you would be paying professional prices.

Its begining to look a lot like EEEEE BAI then, thanks!

Latest posts

Back