Swienty vs Abelo poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, hive moving.

When I move hives, the whole cover must be replaced with mesh, if bees become nervous. In cold weather I put a newspaper sheet over the mesh.

I've had the same with mine. Infuriating. I like the rails on this design but the curved thin top edge is worse than the previous design. I think they chew through where light can shine through the poly. I tried painting the interior walls with a dark colour but that doesn't seem to help.

This summer nibbling was far less apparent with no real increase in the damage done in 2017. I guess they nibble away at the poly when confined due to poor weather or there's an intermittent flow.

Heading into winter with the Swienty, bees did really well over the summer, zero damage to the boxes, will be purchasing more next year.

I’m quoting you again, FS. When you see so much more condensation in the Abelos, do you mean the puddles of water gathering behind the frame lugs? I’ve seen that, but I think that’s because water condensing there can’t escape, whereas with Swienties the lug risers are inserts, and water can flow away. I haven’t yet found bees drowned in the gullies.
e0cde8b651e7d7db8eb2acc4cb5401bf.jpg
510ebdf024c3a4faacd743e4078c9901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not found a problem with accumulated condensation behind the frame rails, but is it really something to worry about? A source of water along the walls of a hive saves effort in going outside during cold weather.
If it does become a problem a small hole or notch in the frame support will act as a drain.
Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Bought my 10th Abelo roof this week. They are great roofs and lovely people to deal with. Its worth looking at their sale items too.

Park Beekeeping had a very interesting poly roof at the honey show. Normal looking metal cover, wrapped around a poly shell. I was very tempted.

100% disagree I think poly roofs look tatty quickly you got rid of those old wood hives then Etton

Last edited:
A quick coat of paint and they look brand new, and the bees are lovely and cosy.

In my book looks are way down the list and at the top, well, the bees well being.

PH

A quick coat of paint and they look brand new, and the bees are lovely and cosy.

In my book looks are way down the list and at the top, well, the bees well being.

PH

Exactly.. i have been painting all the spare boxes i have pulled of this year with floor paint and i will be doing the same with any new poly roofs i buy so i can change the older ones for new so i can paint the older ones.. it's so simple to do and i can not understand why some folk can not get there head around it.

Exactly.. i have been painting all the spare boxes i have pulled of this year with floor paint and i will be doing the same with any new poly roofs i buy so i can change the older ones for new so i can paint the older ones.. it's so simple to do and i can not understand why some folk can not get there head around it.

Floor paint ? Like for concrete floors ?

Seems you guys like spending your time painting one thing not needed with metal roofs ....simpler innit

I too find painting hives relaxing and rather enjoyable although the fact the Abelo comes pre-painted is continent as twice this year the day the arrived I was using them.

As for the Abelo hives; a metal roof would be a bit more durable. I got a bit of propolis on one when I set down a queen excluder and it made some imperfections when I tried to remove it.

Has anyone found a good match for the yellow? I'd like to touch up the roofs and I noticed at the entrance where the bees walk you can see it wearing through a bit.

100% disagree I think poly roofs look tatty quickly you got rid of those old wood hives then Etton

I really like the green abelo roofs and after 3 years I find they are just as good and have far better insulation than wooden ones, even with added insulation . Loads of years left in them still and none of mine need repainting.
Move on Linoleum to 21st Century!!

Back