Sweet Chestnut,

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Whilst out enjoying the Autumn sunshine today we found a lovely sweet chestnut tree with lots of chestnuts scattered around beneath it.
I now have a bowl full on the kitchen worktop waiting to be eaten.
:cheers2:

Our walnut has once again served us well... hats full, sacks full!!!
and not a nut left with the winds today!

Nos da

Our walnut has once again served us well... hats full, sacks full!!!
and not a nut left with the winds today!

Nos da

Same here. Our walnuts are smaller but collected three sacks of the things. Sell them at the gate for £1 a bag of fifty.
It was like gun fire going off as the wind blew them onto the shed roof!
E

I adore sweet chesnut. Deeelicious...
Our hazelnuts and walnuts are drying at the attic. .
Fried hazelnuts are addiction to me..
Thinking of making homemade nutela since we have abundance of hazelnuts.. will see when jobs start to decrease..

Forgot, in Croatia is one area of huge sweet chesnut forests. Lot of migratory beeks are after that honey.. To me sweet chesnut honey is too bitter. Even it is extremelly healthy I don't eat it.

Last edited:
I adore sweet chesnut. Deeelicious...
Our hazelnuts and walnuts are drying at the attic. .
Fried hazelnuts are addiction to me..
Thinking of making homemade nutela since we have abundance of hazelnuts.. will see when jobs start to decrease..

Forgot, in Croatia is one area of huge sweet chesnut forests. Lot of migratory beeks are after that honey.. To me sweet chesnut honey is too bitter. Even it is extremelly healthy I don't eat it.

Bought some in Tenerife last year, really dark and viscous.
I liked it.
Probably just my taste in honeys.

Like the sound of fried hazelnuts...damn squirrels get most of ours...despite the .410 getting lots of use.

Most of my summer honey came from sweet chestnut trees as my area has sandy soil and with the drought of last summer all the usual ground flora either dried up or didn't yield. Honey very dark with strong flavour.

If roasting chestnuts on a woodburner then don't forget to pierce the shell. Still picking pieces from on the picture rail
And it makes you jump when the explode!
E

We use the exploding chesnut method to tell us when they are done. We have a multi-fuel stove and put the chestnuts in the ash underneath piercing all but one -- when that one goes bang the rest are done. Well, it kinda works...ish.

Latest posts

Back