swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenibee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
my prolific queen swarmed yesterday, this was after adding a second brood box 3 weeks ago and a super 2weeks ago. had been checking for queen cells. managed to collect her in a poly nuc. all bees followed. after about 90 mins went to put some foundation in as on had two drawn comb in there and did not want brace comb. found they had all gone. not to be seen again.

This is a double post....replied in the main forum
E

my prolific queen swarmed yesterday, this was after adding a second brood box 3 weeks ago and a super 2weeks ago. had been checking for queen cells. managed to collect her in a poly nuc. all bees followed. after about 90 mins went to put some foundation in as on had two drawn comb in there and did not want brace comb. found they had all gone. not to be seen again.

Oh sorry to hear that. I would have used a q excluder for a few days after putting her into the nuc. I have a poly nuc for this reason, has a disc entrance that can be turned onto q excluder so she wouldn't be able to get out. If using a brood box, q excluder could be put between floor & brood box box for a few days.
Don't be dis heartened, your new queen could end up just as good, remember she is a daughter.
You must have missed a q cell for your bees to swarm.
That's why I clip my queen, but not for everyone.
Sharon

I suspect that a nuc box was too small for your swarm if it was a prime one. might be why they scarpered so quickly.
cazza

Latest posts

Back