Swarm this late....feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cb50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Chap local to me wanted to get into beekeeping. Got hive. Someone in the region had a cast swarm (seen a few late swarms this year).

New hive Deep brood, all new frames so lots of work for a small swarm. Was suggesting he feeds after a couple of days.

Question thin syrup at this time of year I assume, and weather warm?

Will see size tomorrow when I help him put in. But looked small on photos.

Thanks

As JBM says, nuc would have been much better.
Definitely feed.
Hope the queen mates well and quick.

GuyNir;716800 said:
Hope the queen mates well and quick.
If, in fact she is a virgin, but unlike the usual chatter in the trees on here, those in the know are still sorting out another batch of grafts for their cell raisers, so no massive panic.

jenkinsbrynmair;716804 said:
If, in fact she is a virgin, but unlike the usual chatter in the trees on here, those in the know are still sorting out another batch of grafts for their cell raisers.

Aye, still plenty of drones here.

Thanks. Yes on Nuc had wanted that but he has no nuc and mine is national and full. May have to just risk the full hive. But will feed lots.

Cb50;716809 said:
Thanks. Yes on Nuc had wanted that but he has no nuc and mine is national and full. May have to just risk the full hive. But will feed lots.

Dummy them right down and close the omf floor of.
If you can donate some capped emerging brood that would help them to.
Don't be worried about the difference with frames you can remove once they have emerged.
Put the emerging brood right in the centre of the cluster.

I would also get the entrance as small as possible and clean up any syrup spills. Wasps are about in force where I am and could wipe out a colony given incentive.

Swarm installed, was very small. Entrance small, he made up dummy‘s with 4 frames to close it up and they are taking the syrup like mad. Let’s see in a few weeks time if we have a mated queen.

thanks for advice to all

Back