Swapping full super of stores with empty drawn super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I hardly dare ask this after the ribbing bee novice has been given. Hope someone can see my predicament and offer help, I am still in year 1 and have thought through this but still don't know the answer.

I have a hive on brood and a half, they were absolutely rammed with stores of syrup by end of Autumn. The hive weighed 1 tonne. Now it weighs 3/4 of a tonne and I am concerned there is no laying space. About 6 weeks ago I decided to whip out the super underneath, like I had done with another hive on brood and half, but abandoned as there were far too many bees in there and they clearly needed that space.

It is too cold up here to have a proper look through and assess laying space, stores etc. However it is clear that there is far too much in the way of stores and also a very good population of bees.

So as a quick fix my plan was to wait until Sunday, when 13 degC is predicted -whip out the super underneath and replace it with an empty drawn super. My predicament is, where should I place the super?
A) straight swap underneath to minimise heat loss to the hive
B) over the brood box where they are more likely to move
C) none of the above

Anyone got any ideas on this? It's much appreciated. Cheers Ginger

This is the way I see it.... The bees were still in the bottom box because they had not finished the food in there. If it had been empty they would have moved up. So.....if you have any drawn brood I would add that to the centre of the top box, however I doubt you have as this is your first year so, do you have drawn supers? If so take four frames out of the centre of the super and replace with drawn supers, i wouldn't replace all the frames! I would then swap the box' s round so that the super is now on the top, I am trying to think what the bees would like best! I can only tell you what I would do but I am sure others will come along soon! Never be afraid to ask.... Just pick out the answer that suits the way you keep bees best!
Good luck
E

Last edited:
Thanks E, I do have some drawn brood frames as I combined 2 hives last year. I will take the plunge and look in there on Sunday with a view to swapping out some brood frames of stores. What about the super? I would not be surprised if it almost full of stores, the hive is very heavy! Stick it on top with half empty drawn frames and half of the existing frames?

Alternatively, it's still only March and I doubt there's much forage up in Cumbria, so they'll soon start to use up stores in the BB and make space for brood?

Be careful, you could have brood in the bottom box, you just need to see if they have enough space for expansion, if it's crammed with stores then remove a few frames and replace with comb or foundation but not in the middle of the brood nest but either side. the super can be moved above the BB later in the year when thing start warming up

Thanks all, I need to get in there and have a look. It's well sheltered and hopefully the fact that there is bees a plenty, they will get things warmed up again once I have been in.

Be careful, you could have brood in the bottom box

:iagree:

Whatever you do, most important consideration is don't split the brood.
I would be inclined to see what's what before deciding anything. Ideally you want the syrup cleared out of the super, preferably by the bees but you might need to extract it yourself.

It is too cold up here to have a proper look through and assess laying space, stores etc. However it is clear that there is far too much in the way of stores and also a very good population of bees.

Be warm enough to spill the guts of that colony this weekend. Don't turkey around ... have a good look at them otherwise you will always be doubting what exactly is going on in the hive.

:iagree:

Whatever you do, most important consideration is don't split the brood.
I would be inclined to see what's what before deciding anything. Ideally you want the syrup cleared out of the super, preferably by the bees but you might need to extract it yourself.

Just to clarify, I said put the new frames in the centre of the box, the reason for this would only be if you had NO brood in that box and the box is rammed full of stores, the eggs would then be layed in the centre where it is warm and safe. If there IS brood then the frames go on the outside so as not to split the brood and for use when the centre is filled. Didn't mean to confuse and I hope that makes sense.
E

I am intrigued. Nobody suggesting just to add a super this time and finding out the actual situation seems paramount.

Personally, I would expect a brood with a shallow under to be adequate space for them up in Cumbria, but who knows, the weather was probably better up there, earlier in the year, than in the South West. As to laying space - that may be a different matter and I am not guessing but I think enrico is likely on the right lines.

RAB

I hardly dare ask this after the ribbing bee novice has been given.

That wasn't so bad was it. Maybe it's just me! Ha.
Use the good weather to assess what is going on. Take your time and have a good look. I intend to.

P.s how did you get away with the 1 tonne, 3/4 tonne comment?
Good luck with it all.

Thanks all, I think my thread indicates that this forum is priceless. Lots of opinions, nothing clear cut, but after mulling it over I think a hasty deek in the hive and several different options at hand is the way forward.
Jenkins, as with most hives in Cumbria they are of course made of Shap Granite :)
Beenovice, there will be a time when you will want to change your user name....in about 50 years when we are bee experts

Back