sugar syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
made 5 litres of 1/1 now this is surplus to requirements can i freeze it to keep until needed your thought please as i believe it can go off in time or have i got that wrongnot worthy

not sure about freezing it, it will go 'off' pretty quickly, you'll find 'bits' growing in it. Do you have any thymol? Hivemakers thymol recipe on here, for winter feeding will make it keep much longer.

oh, i got the first bit wrong then, when I've left any for more than 3 or 4 days what i said usually happens.

Last edited:
I freeze fondant so I don't see why you shouldn't freeze syrup, it's the same stuff really but runnier!

Every time this question comes up I always give the same answer. Yeast starts to multiply in sugar syrup after about three days ( the warmer it is the Quicker they multiply) the yeast spores are toxic to bees. Add thymol to recommended dose ( see hive makers recipe ) or use within three days. I gt my info from a paper
" Fat bees skinny bees " I will not risk my bees health you cannot see the yeast spores nor can you see what damage they are doing to you bees.

Back