strange honey problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need some help about my honey. I have jarred up 70-80 jars of honey and stored them for a month or so. I placed them in the bian marie to '' un'' set it. the current batch of 32 jars I have just tired to label them and noticed 12 have what looks like water in the top.
I have not checked the water % yet as I will need sun light?! for the
refractometer . but surely if the water content was to high all the jarred honey would be the same.

Help please?
TB

it can sometimes sort of separate under some circumstances. If you test the top it will be high in water content. You can shake/stir them and then test them but you will get air bubbles in them. A warming cabinet will help to get the bubbles out if you leave them on a low heat.

Is it water.... liquid or more like condensation?

Carefully open a jar and check for a fermentation aroma......
if the water content was too high... very high on bottling... this could happen.

Mead making springs to mind!

Is it water.... liquid or more like condensation?

Carefully open a jar and check for a fermentation aroma......
if the water content was too high... very high on bottling... this could happen.

!

ive opened the jar and can not smell nothing but honey and there is not anything on the surface.

Give one jar a really good shake then test the moisture content

shake the hell out of it so it mixes properly

I did open one jar and stir it but I can see what looks like waves though out the honey

It is possible for honey to be within limits, but when it crystallises the crystals are pure sugar which frees up water so you can get areas which are more dilute. The 'waves' could either be areas of crystals or bubbles through the honey, or areas of different concentrations which refract the light differently.

Get some jars thoroughly liquefied and stirred, then check the water content.

I can't shed any light on what the problem is sadly.
Have you tasted the odd ones in the batch ?
If they taste ok maybe you could re-mix and bottle them.

Just a thought.

There was a chap at our honey show last year that had this problem. The theory was that as he submerged the jars in cold water to cool them, water was sucked in. This left a layer of water on top of the honey.

Can I suggest that the honey got too hot and the water vapour coming off the surface condensed on the inside of the lid and later dripped down onto the honey surface

Latest posts

Back