Straight forward bearding or something more sinister?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodiam Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

(re-posting from welcome forum)

Having been following the many words of wisdom here, for which many thanks, I have now got to the stage where I'll soon get into a panic.

Last year was my first year, starting with an over wintered nuc that buzzed off in a little over 2 weeks. After the disappointment, I dusted myself down, got back on track and, what's more, picked up a new swarm.

The latter is now causing concern. Having followed "bearding" threads galore, I am still none the wiser. Last week, a load of bees gathered underneath the hive. Last weekend, I swapped the base around, replaced the brood box and shook the bees back in (loads of capped brood, eggs and pollen). I planted the first super on thinking that would calm them down. Now, at 7pm and 23C they, like every other day this week (including the cooler days), are clumping on the front (see pic). Are they about to disappear? Should I try and create an artificial swarm / split the hive?

Help!

Attachments

• IMG_3637.jpg
    IMG_3637.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 83
Hello all,

Now, at 7pm and 23C they, like every other day this week (including the cooler days), are clumping on the front (see pic). Are they about to disappear? Should I try and create an artificial swarm / split the hive?

Help!
If they strong enough for your location and climate to swarm then you can split this hive.
Maybe the bees need more fresh air.
How about a kind of fantastic version that your hive stands in a bad place. Yes, it can be ridiculous, and we can laugh, but just try to remove the hive to 0,5-1m (a bit at a time) and see the result.

Last edited:
If they strong enough for your location and climate to swarm then you can split this hive.
Maybe the bees need more fresh air.
How about a kind of fantastic version that your hive stands in a bad place. Yes, it can be rediculous, and we can laugh, but just try to remove the hive to 0,5-1m (a bit at a time) and see the result.

I'm sorry, but, this advice is inappropriate for the UK. Splitting a colony now means you will miss the nectar flow from OSR and there are no mature drones for any virgin queen to mate with...so, you'd have to buy a queen. In any case, you'd forgo any honey from the colony this year.

what you are observing is quite common in warm weather,

is the hive situated in full evening sunshine ?
think about ventilation, if it is a strong colony think about opening the entrance fully ,do you have omf, i cant make out what you have in the photo,

as for splitting them only you can tell their strength, here in Hampshire i have had newly hatched drones 2 weeks ago and plenty of them , so anything is possible just depends on your location

duplicated my post, is there a delete ?

Last edited:
morning! Definitely not blocked and on the larger entrance hall so thinking about just removing the clock in its entirety as per earlier suggestions.

morning! Definitely not blocked and on the larger entrance hall so thinking about just removing the clock in its entirety as per earlier suggestions.

When I changed my floor the entrance block came out for ventilation I did this a week or two before my first inspection . this was a good time for me as there was pollen going into the hive, it also helped my girls with house cleaning . Today I plan to move my bee's in to a new hive . ( brood body). And hopefully find HM for marking and see the development of the Bias. Also some winter stores might need removing.
I've got a bit to do hopefully the weather stays good.
Mark

I run reduced entrance year round. Don't find a problem with omf floors.
Is your hive in full sunlight? Has it got room for nectar processing? Since you opened your hive already what did you see inside?

I run reduced entrance year round. Don't find a problem with omf floors.
Is your hive in full sunlight? Has it got room for nectar processing? Since you opened your hive already what did you see inside?

Morning Gilberdyke, hives are in full sun from about 8 AM until 1 PM then in dappled shade for the afternoon/evening. Last weekend, things did look pretty hectic. Very little empty space in the brood box Some honey a lot of pollen, capped brood and eggs but not huge amounts of space (sorry for vague details but I haven’t my notes to hand ). Having supered I was hoping that they’d have quietened down (coupled with a large entrance hole plus OMF I was hoping that would be more successful). That said, this morning they are looking a little better behaved for the first time in 2 weeks. I will head in in an hour or 2 to see progress...

Put a new brood box with foundations lowest in the hive. Then they have space and something to do.

If they do not want to draw foundatinons, it may mean swarminv fever.

But bearding surely starts swarming.

Morning Gilberdyke, hives are in full sun from about 8 AM until 1 PM then in dappled shade for the afternoon/evening. Last weekend, things did look pretty hectic. Very little empty space in the brood box Some honey a lot of pollen, capped brood and eggs but not huge amounts of space (sorry for vague details but I haven’t my notes to hand ). Having supered I was hoping that they’d have quietened down (coupled with a large entrance hole plus OMF I was hoping that would be more successful). That said, this morning they are looking a little better behaved for the first time in 2 weeks. I will head in in an hour or 2 to see progress...

The sudden change in weather has seen temperatures leap. My Apiary has tree/hedge protection but there's very little leaf shade just now. However I have a mixture of polyhives and wood with hive cozys on so internal temperature isn't unduly affected by sunshine.
If it's excessively affecting your hives the bees will come out for respite and allow those inside better opportunity to circulate air within the hive.
Bearding often takes place for similar reasons of air circulation during periods of nectar evaporation. Flowers are appearing in a rush where I am and the bees likely don't know which forage to head for first :)
No doubt they'll sort themselves out as they have done for millennia ☺

Well .... off they went! Quite a spectacular sight, it has to be said.
On the up-side, they set up shop in an adjacent ancient plum tree. Managed to catch and re-house. Spied HM (good omen being QE2’s official b-day?) in the process and now, I guess, it’s fingers crossed that I am the proud owner of a 3rd hive...

Latest posts

Back