Stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tsco do a do a black heavy duty marigold. Not been stung through them yet.

Tsco do a do a black heavy duty marigold. Not been stung through them yet.

These are the ones I've got for when they are on OSR or heather, just in case a few stings from many hives is a pain. Normally would not use them.

Bees apparently don't like black, tend to 'go for it'. My link, non latex and comfy lining

Bees apparently don't like black, tend to 'go for it'. My link, non latex and comfy lining

I can vouch for this. my last leather gloves had little black labels on underneath the wrist. The labels got shredded due to bees attacking them

another time I was wearing my usual gloves and pulled out my black phone to photograph something. within a split second the phone was covered in bees.

I use leather as they are more comfortable after a few hours of wearing them on a hot day (remember those!)
For my grumpy bunch, I double up with a pair of liners underneath.

We use black marigolds (from farm suppliers etc.) but inside out (Thanks HM) so the 'white side' is out.
The occasional sting gets through but normally I've semi-squished the bee first so it's just revenge on her part. And just dump the gloves in a bucket of hot washing soda water and they come clean.

Tim

I'm intolerant of latex (well, it makes my hands swell up). Very difficult to get non-latex gloves in a 'L' size. (Lots of the companies only do 'M'. Perhaps they think that only humans with smaller hands do washing up. Can't imagine why...) Bizarrely, the company that do 'L' size non-latex gloves are called BusyB**s. You fill in the asterisks.
have you tried medical suppliers ?

I'm intolerant of latex (well, it makes my hands swell up). Very difficult to get non-latex gloves in a 'L' size. (Lots of the companies only do 'M'. Perhaps they think that only humans with smaller hands do washing up. Can't imagine why...) Bizarrely, the company that do 'L' size non-latex gloves are called BusyB**s. You fill in the asterisks.

Have you tried nitrile. I found large ones from a motor trade supplier via am*zon

I use blue nitrile with extended cuff, not been stung yet

I followed Heather's advice last year about the Lakelands, and instead of loads of stings to the leather gloves I had 1 sting all season, and it hardly penetrated the gloves. They are very strong and quite resistant but also not too thick so make for easier manipulation of the frames. Like any other glove the bees will get through occasionally but unlike the leather gloves they can be easily cleaned and don't seem to hold any "alarming" odours. Apart from the inside of them on a summer day :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back