Springwatch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Where is Cheers when you want him, anyway the Lost Gardens of Heligan on Springwatch, a small talk about all bees and the 7 hives on the site.

All my roses seem to attract them! I have Francis E as well, I will keep an eye on it (though it's well over our heads on a pergola...)

Where is Cheers when you want him, anyway the Lost Gardens of Heligan on Springwatch, a small talk about all bees and the 7 hives on the site.

And a journalist/ presenter/reporter who could not pronounce the Latin binomial for the " non native" invasive tree bumble... a very important pollinator apparently!

The bit about our endemic native black Cornish variety did not come across well... should have got Chris Packham to do it!

Poor jackdaws!

The bit about our endemic native black Cornish variety did not come across well... should have got Chris Packham to do it!

They gave the impression that the "Black Bees in Cornwall" were actually not native, but similar looking ones introduced from abroad & struggling to cope with the climatic conditions. :bump:
No such remarks about tree Bumbles, if you listen to the beeb they could be more native than black bees?:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

They gave the impression that the "Black Bees in Cornwall" were actually not native, but similar looking ones introduced from abroad & struggling to cope with the climatic conditions. :

So that bit was accurate then? :winner1st:

And a journalist/ presenter/reporter who could not pronounce the Latin binomial for the " non native" invasive tree bumble... a very important pollinator apparently!

Poor jackdaws!

I've dealt with journalists, who published an article full of inaccuracies, because they didn't have any recording equipment, nor notepads. That would have been 20 years ago

I always thought the main focus of television was entertainment - education in any form is secondary or incidental and it certainly does not let truth and accuracy spoil a good story regardless.

Poor jackdaws!

Sadly that man Packham is a complete liability to the BBC. Bring back David Bellamy

Sadly that man Packham is a complete liability to the BBC. Bring back David Bellamy

:iagree:

Noone has mentioned the fact (I never watch the tripe, but have been informed of this) that they also advised viewers to buy solitary bee cocoons on 'tinternet to 'release' into their gardens.
Totally irresponsible and indeed dangerous advice - no mention of the fact that bringing non local bees in could destabilise the fine natural balance, but also what parasites that local bees have no evoloutionary resistance to and pathogens they would be introducing.

Noone has mentioned the fact (I never watch the tripe, but have been informed of this) that they also advised viewers to buy solitary bee cocoons on 'tinternet to 'release' into their gardens.
Totally irresponsible and indeed dangerous advice - no mention of the fact that bringing non local bees in could destabilise the fine natural balance, but also what parasites that local bees have no evoloutionary resistance to and pathogens they would be introducing.

The BBKA ought to be encouraged to release a statement to the above - they are being totally irresponsible indeed

S

They gave the impression that the "Black Bees in Cornwall" were actually not native, but similar looking ones introduced from abroad & struggling to cope with the climatic conditions. :bump:
No such remarks about tree Bumbles, if you listen to the beeb they could be more native than black bees?:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Uninformed HOGSWASH... BBC should be ashamed and put out a retraction and an apology... will write them a stern letter!!!

Originally Posted by Somerford View Post
Bring back David Bellamy
Wasn't he a Botanist???

Keep Packham, I like him.
knows his onions & not afraid to speak out against the establishment.

David Bellamy.... an environmentalist who brought botany to the great unwashed as entertainment..... my link to him is that we were both taught biochemistry at Ewell Tech ( Now a University!) by George Fluck.... yes I did spell that correctly!
George was even invited to the "This is your Life" BBC program for David Bellamy!!... when the BBC employed proper educated presenters... unlike the misinformed actresses and actors relabeled as journalists of today... all very PC even if totally giving out misinformed HOGSWASH !!!

Yeghes da

when the BBC employed proper educated presenters... unlike the misinformed actresses and actors relabeled as journalists of today... all very PC even if totally giving out misinformed HOGSWASH !!!

It's not just the BBC. They seem to think we have to have "pretty young things" presenting everything on TV nowadays. Gone are the days of Jack Hargreaves, etc who knew what they were talking about and didn't need anyone to write a script for them.

That point was made last night when Chris Packham pointed out those very concerns, also that only species native to Britain should be considered.

Growers are already doing this on a massive scale but there again, it's no worse than all those imported queens coming into our country every year.

Latest posts

Back