Spring Prep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
Each year when the time comes to do the first spring inspections...there are a few surprises. Each year those surprises...I find out later could have been avoided...at best or quickly sorted...if I had the knowledge...and knew what to look for.
For instance...last year I had a colony which initially was growing and increasing...then it stopped increasing and started to dwindle. Luckily for me...other forum members came to the rescue and not only did we save the colony but boosted it into a quick recovery. It turned out that nosema was at the root of the problem. Very little bee poo to be seen.
I had lost a few colonies during the winter and assumed my varroa control was insufficient...which it might have been....but when we went back and collected some of the dead bees and checked for nosema...there it was! It could have been a combination of course.
I'm hoping this spring the colonies survive...so far so good.
This spring I am keeping a check list in my head...and at the top of that list will be nosema...having found out that the majority of bees suffer this but in the spring build up can overcome the losses(which I didn't know before my bees were weakened by it)
Having remedies at hand...and the support and help from the more experienced beekeepers can bee a lifesaver for you bees.
So don't be afraid to ask if things are not right or you are worried about your bees.

Spring prep begins in the Autumn.
By March it is too late!
Yeghes da

Wise words, I found this out in my second year where I run out of frames and ending up making them like a loon late into the night.

I would say to any beginners - get your plans (always provisional !) for the coming season drawn up now, and ensure that you have the equipment needed for it, ready and waiting.
Because - the season is short - and, because beekeeping supply houses have 'runs' on certain products, like frames and foundation. If you order at the last minute, then you may be unlucky ... "sorry, all sold out".

And - if this is your first or even second year - keep the posts coming. That's what the forum is for.
Good Luck
LJ

Spring prep begins in the Autumn.
By March it is too late!
Yeghes da

Oh Ye of the Wise words...it is still February so there is still time for a few jobs. I was thinking along the lines of what to do if you find something happening which you either don't understand or don't know what to do to sort it.
I had a colony which was doing well during the Spring....then later seemed to stop growing...the brood nest just stayed the same size and in fact started to cover fewer frames. Nosema was suggested...although there was only a few spots of bee poo around the entrance...hardly anything...and nothing much to see on the frames either. They had food. They had been treated for varroa. So as suggested I took a sample of bees, cut off the bellies and added a little water and made a slide. I have a small microscope and didn't really expect to see much...but there they were the nosema spores...really clear.
But what to do...was it possible to save them...Yes it was....a wonderful beekeeper on here suggested making up some Hivemakers recipe and a litre of 1:1 syrup...adding a teaspoon of the thymol mix to it. I needed to spray the bees on the comb 3 times at 3-4 day intervals. I did this. Even before the third treatment they were recovering...but there were too few bees. A second suggestion was to swop the hive and place it where a stronger hive had been. I do admit that there was a little controversy about this...the idea being that returning foragers would be accepted and would increase numbers in the weaker hive. Well it worked...both hives thrived. In fact I went on to spray all my bees and I was amazed at how it helped them all. I didn't know how endemic nosema was in all our bees. I knew about the disease but I didn't realise that it is present all the time and that when a colony is vulnerable...as in the spring...they can lose the fight.
You are right that good Autumn prep is valuable....but all the bees had been fed with syrup laced with thymol...all were vaped...all were insulated....none of that would have saved these bees...but the Beekeepers Forum did save them.
So what I am saying is that I didn't know how to help them but someone else did...and asking for help is important.

Oh Ye of the Wise words...it is still February so there is still time for a few jobs. I was thinking along the lines of what to do if you find something happening which you either don't understand or don't know what to do to sort it.
I had a colony which was doing well during the Spring....then later seemed to stop growing...the brood nest just stayed the same size and in fact started to cover fewer frames. Nosema was suggested...although there was only a few spots of bee poo around the entrance...hardly anything...and nothing much to see on the frames either. They had food. They had been treated for varroa. So as suggested I took a sample of bees, cut off the bellies and added a little water and made a slide. I have a small microscope and didn't really expect to see much...but there they were the nosema spores...really clear.
But what to do...was it possible to save them...Yes it was....a wonderful beekeeper on here suggested making up some Hivemakers recipe and a litre of 1:1 syrup...adding a teaspoon of the thymol mix to it. I needed to spray the bees on the comb 3 times at 3-4 day intervals. I did this. Even before the third treatment they were recovering...but there were too few bees. A second suggestion was to swop the hive and place it where a stronger hive had been. I do admit that there was a little controversy about this...the idea being that returning foragers would be accepted and would increase numbers in the weaker hive. Well it worked...both hives thrived. In fact I went on to spray all my bees and I was amazed at how it helped them all. I didn't know how endemic nosema was in all our bees. I knew about the disease but I didn't realise that it is present all the time and that when a colony is vulnerable...as in the spring...they can lose the fight.
You are right that good Autumn prep is valuable....but all the bees had been fed with syrup laced with thymol...all were vaped...all were insulated....none of that would have saved these bees...but the Beekeepers Forum did save them.
So what I am saying is that I didn't know how to help them but someone else did...and asking for help is important.
I 100% Agree with you Trem, i will be into the 3rd season this year and i know for a fact i will be asking questions left right and centre, especially during swarming season, to be honest i do not think anyone knows everything about bee keeping.

i do not think anyone knows everything about bee keeping.

I know of at least one beekeeper who would disagree with that..................

Well it's not me.

Apart from the physical kit to have ready there is the mental prep.

What are you going to do when you see those pesky queen cups?

Where are you moving your bees to when its OSR time or heather time?

Those little issues....

PH

Well it's not me.

Apart from the physical kit to have ready there is the mental prep.

What are you going to do when you see those pesky queen cups?

Where are you moving your bees to when its OSR time or heather time?

Those little issues....

PH

Exactly - that's what I mean by having a plan ready. But - said plan always needs to be flexible, just in case something doesn't pan out as expected - 'cause it often doesn't ! :)
LJ

Trying to pre empt every scenario is a nightmare of juggling lots of balls in the air..haha....
Opening a hive a seeing a dozen queen cups is bound to send us into a flat spin for a few minutes...lol...that OMG moment!
Having to make decisions on-the-hoof so to speak...it's easy when you are sitting in front of your computer but not so easy when you are standing in front of an open hive. I think some of it is first inspection nerves too. After last year...finding dead outs and sick bees.

Trying to pre empt every scenario is a nightmare of juggling lots of balls in the air..

The more colonies you have, the more options you have. I am sure you must have heard this before, but, it really is true. Also, having spare equipment ready to go when needed helps things go smoothly.

Having to make decisions on-the-hoof so to speak...it's easy when you are sitting in front of your computer but not so easy when you are standing in front of an open hive.

If you need time to think, close the hive up and go and have a cup of coffee, look in a bee book, scratch your head or search on the forum for some advice.

The only time that this is an issue is if you have a really feisty hive or its late in the day, in that case, come back in the morning :)

If you need time to think, close the hive up and go and have a cup of coffee, look in a bee book, scratch your head or search on the forum for some advice.

The only time that this is an issue is if you have a really feisty hive or its late in the day, in that case, come back in the morning :)

Great advice...and we have done that before. Luckily ...so far...our bees are quite docile. Working with the Beehaus means you need only uncover 5 frames at a time...which I believe helps a lot with inspections. Obviously at the first spring inspection you hope to find a well advanced brood area...some stores and healthy colony. It isn't always the case. Now I have more colonies...it does give us a lot more choice. One thing we learnt this winter was that during winter prep...to put cover boards with holes in them over the brood nest. Then when you want to add fondant/sugar blocks etc.....you only have to lift the lid. We had only left one cover with a hole in it...so had to take a blank cover off and replace it...the bees did not appreciate that...hmmm.

One thing we learnt this winter was that during winter prep...to put cover boards with holes in them over the brood nest. Then when you want to add fondant/sugar blocks etc.....you only have to lift the lid. We had only left one cover with a hole in it...so had to take a blank cover off and replace it...the bees did not appreciate that...hmmm.

Try substituting your cover board with a sheet of clear plastic from the builders merchant. I buy 50m rolls and it lasts ages. Its an easy matter to cut a cross in the centre of the plastic and fold the edges back if you need access to them.

Try substituting your cover board with a sheet of clear plastic from the builders merchant. I buy 50m rolls and it lasts ages. Its an easy matter to cut a cross in the centre of the plastic and fold the edges back if you need access to them.

How does that work with top space?
Doesn't the plastic sag onto the tops of the frames when you have fondant on top?

How does that work with top space?
Doesn't the plastic sag onto the tops of the frames when you have fondant on top?

Its no problem. I use it on poly Langstroths which are top beespace. The bees propolise the edges down a little but thats ok. There may be a little wax deposited ontop of the frames which is normal. Just scrape them clear when you add the queen excluder.

Last edited:
A good tip for preparation is to make all your spare frames up except for one bottom bar, that way you just slip the wax in and put bottom bar and fix flappy bit on top bar and saves you loads of time. Store them on two rails and wyou ill see when you are getting short on stocks too.
E

Its no problem. I use it on poly Langstroths which are top beespace. The bees propolise the edges down a little but thats ok. There may be a little wax deposited ontop of the frames which is normal. Just scrape them clear when you add the queen excluder.

Thanks. I might try that

Back