Spring honey crop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
95 lbs from two colonies, here so far, with two more supers to extract and having “generated” three more colonies..

This morning I put the clearer boards on and tomorrow I’m extracting 18 very heavy supers from 8 hives. I will have to take the supers off early and hopefully start extracting by 8am so I can bucket it all up and get to my dental appointment by 2.30!

This morning I put the clearer boards on and tomorrow I’m extracting 18 very heavy supers from 8 hives. I will have to take the supers off early and hopefully start extracting by 8am so I can bucket it all up and get to my dental appointment by 2.30!
I'd never get through that many that quickly!
Perhaps if you didn't eat as much honey you might not need the dentist! 😁

I'd never get through that many that quickly!
Perhaps if you didn't eat as much honey you might not need the dentist! 😁
I’m not sure I will get through them but I’m gonna try!
I think it’s just old age that’s causing the dental problems 😁

Well I managed to extract it in time but the honey room is a mess so I’ll be back later to tidy up!

Well I managed to extract it in time but the honey room is a mess so I’ll be back later to tidy up!
Well done.
Four supers an hour is the best I can do..Plus cleaning up.

Stepladders required! 👍
I should of used one really but I stand on the double pallets , it’s the last two boxes that cause a problem you have to pause before you hearl them on-top

12 supers and two brood boxes to extract from four colony’s at that apiary .

Putting clearers on the third apiary now.

Step up folding platforms are very good for a tall hive, bigger area to stand on than steps.
Aye they are handy I might invest in some they would make good hive stands .
The colony in the photo is my best to date hopefully beat my own record of 215 lbs but I’m not sure I’ll know more when I extract over the next week .

Is that at home or at your bosses' estate?
Work the forage at home wouldn’t produce colony’s like that I wish they would .
She’s a local queen number 2 I’ve got three daughters from her on single brood in the same apiary 2023

Last edited:
You're a start for them, Curly.
Where on earth do they sell all their honey? Somewere expensive in London....I bet

Had a great spring last year with OSR in a couple of fields locally. No OSR this year and one hive requeening as they made early swarm preps so just 28lbs from 2 hives (about 1 and a half supers worth). I have found that my bees seem to build up slowly here but the season lasts longer with forage still going strong through September.
I do have a couple of hives with at least two extremely heavy supers each so will do an extraction in a week or so.

Latest posts

Back