Spring honey crop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmb1360

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello everyone

Did anyone harvest spring honey from there hives and if so what was the most you got from 1 hive?

Thanks

Fantastic spring in suburban London. Best hive was 21kg from 2 supers. First super was medium/light in colour and the second was very pale. Must save some for the club competitions although won’t get dark honey to make the trio. Total was 72.6kg from 7 supers on 4 hives.

Hello everyone

Did anyone harvest spring honey from there hives and if so what was the most you got from 1 hive?

Thanks
Well its not usual for me to have much spring honey up here if any, this year however I managed to extract around 15kg from one hive and less or none from others.

Thanks for the the quick reply everyone. I harvested 1 super off a hive and there was 15kg, i use spaces inside my supers so there is only 10 frames. The hawthorn did very well this year. Well done spring honey is the best and most beneficial for us and the bees

My garden colony I harvested 60lbs last Friday and left the remaining spring nectar/honey on the hive as they haven't fully filled the combs or sealed it all yet, this is stores in three supers and all are getting quite heavy. On the Wednesday I gave them two more supers before the clearing board went on.
Spring this year has been damn good so now the summer flow will begin and my remaining spring honey left on will cout as part of my summer crop now , it won't surprise me if this colony gives 150 - 200lbs total for the year, if they decide not to start any swarming process.

Yesterday I inspected again and all looks good queen (2 y/o) is happy laying in double brood no signs thus far of QC's and of the two supers I placed on last week one is already quite heavy again.

I haven't bothered yet with my out apiary as this one is the one having CBPV issues.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure whether hawthorn is dark or light, but so much light came in this spring (not in OSR country) that it must have been from bulk flowering. Sycamore?
Hawthorne I recon all of my honey from the highest apiary is dandelion and Hawthorne and it’s light in colour smells and tastes like hawthorn with the pissy smell of old man’s socks also.

I had Sycamore show up as the highest pollen consentration from the honey monitoring.

it’s light in colour smells and tastes like hawthorn with the pissy smell of old man’s socks also.
dandelion then
Hawthorn is in the darker medium scale of colour - just extracted 300 kilos of the stuff, albeit one apiary had a high ratio of dandelion - smellier and much lighter.

45kg from one of the hives so far, still 3 fullish supers on it and filling. Another hive not far behind. All light, very tasty, no OSR.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure whether hawthorn is dark or light, but so much light came in this spring (not in OSR country) that it must have been from bulk flowering. Sycamore?
We’ve got shed loads of maple and sycamore trees around us. Not so much hawthorn. About a month ago the garden had a definite farmyard smell about it as the bees were drying the nectar. Probably not much if any of the smelly stuff was in the supers we extracted as they were full by then.

Would that be OSR or hedgerow?
Osr or hedgerow
Would that be OSR or hedgerow?
Thanks for the the quick reply everyone. I harvested 1 super off a hive and there was 15kg, i use spaces inside my supers so there is only 10 frames. The hawthorn did very well this year. Well done spring honey is the best and most beneficial for us and the bees
I also left 1 super that wasn't fully capped On the same hive so i total there was 1 and half super boxes but i only removed 1 to be harvested

Latest posts

Back