Spring Harvest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyww

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have a few hives, about half of them have a full super. Do people generally leave this on till the end of the season or should I extract it now ? I'm tempted to harvest now.

If I do this how should I store it when its off the hive before extraction?

Out of interest, roughly how many pounds would you expect to get from a full super?

Cheers.

Hi,

I have a few hives, about half of them have a full super. Do people generally leave this on till the end of the season or should I extract it now ? I'm tempted to harvest now.

If I do this how should I store it when its off the hive before extraction?

Out of interest, roughly how many pounds would you expect to get from a full super?

Cheers.

Do you have Oil Seed Rape in your area, if so extract ASAP if it is not too late already .. if you don't still harvest now.
Most folk do a spring and Autumn harvest, you don't store before extraction if it is going to granulate, spin it out and see what you get after leaving it in the buckets for 3/4wks .
I would have ranted on but i need to get the pooch out, someone else will be along shortly..;)

Take it off the hive as close to extraction as possible, otherwise store in a warm room rather than a cool one. If you have access to an extractor, remove it when you want but remember to check they are not starving if there is no incoming nectar due to flora or weather.
E

For the first time ever, I have had to extract n June. Removed 3 (Lang) shallow supers from a hive with six supers and extracted 59lbs honey this pm. One or two frames in each had half filled combs on the outside.

For the first time ever, I have had to extract n June. Removed 3 (Lang) shallow supers from a hive with six supers and extracted 59lbs honey this pm. One or two frames in each had half filled combs on the outside.
:winner1st::serenade:

Latest posts

Back