Spring Bulbs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
The abode currently has an abundance of Spring flower's in the surrounding woodland ranging from.. Snowdrop's/ Bluebell's/Daff's Narcissus..the blue bell's come in 3 colour's and the snow drop's also come in 3 different varieties ..
I however planted over 400 crocus bulb's on the lawn to give these little beasties a flying chance of bringing some spring stores in for the early start of there working day's..

What i would like to know.. what other spring flower's/bulb's could be planted to help them on there way..
Thank's
Steve.

The hive is surrounded by Willow Eric.. funny enough though i'm chopping 3 problem ones down soon.. i have place's on the lawn's to plant another few thousand crocus bulb's but we will be on tender hook's trying to get to the pond and green houses lol..
I can however plant load's more Crocus in the flower bed's (if i get permission) from her above i mean the Lord.. do you recommend any other species or do we have it covered.

Just had a talk from Celia Davis and the county honey show and she rates Hellebore Orientalis (Lenten rose) for early high quality pollen and nectar and they will take a bit of shade.

You might get the pollen from the crocii but as soon as they are pollinated they will die. They last a day in my garden! I think there must be better pollen providers!
E

I planted a lot of Chionodoxa and Scilla last year, in bold patches in the borders between the summer perenials, the bees seemed to like them.

I am going to plant camassia this year, in part of the garden with long grass.

I can recommend gee-tee bulbs as a good supplier (I have no link to them, but good prompt delivery and high quality bulbs).

I planted a lot of Chionodoxa and Scilla last year, in bold patches in the borders between the summer perenials, the bees seemed to like them.

I am going to plant camassia this year, in part of the garden with long grass.

I can recommend gee-tee bulbs as a good supplier (I have no link to them, but good prompt delivery and high quality bulbs).
I have just checked that gee-tee supplier out and i will blame you if i end up homeless and bankrupt..:thanks:.. lol

Gee Tee are neonic free too.
Good .. my order of 1250 bee friendly bulb's arrived yesterday from Gee Tee.. 400 of them are crocus but can i hell remember what the rest of them are.. the meadow mixture of 250 bulb's also look nice..
Thank's again for mentioning the Gee Tee company..

Right.
Now you need two people.
Strong one....you? wields a pointy spade (easier to lift cut through grass), lift a sod.
Other one throws a handful of bulbs and stamps on the sod once you've replaced it.
Stan and I planted two hundred in fifteen minutes the first time we did it. We have got faster ;)

That's similar how i plant them Erica.. i use my small spade what i use for mole trapping..i slice the surface and slide the spade under the turf and roll it up to whatever shape or size i want and then just place the turf back over the bulb's.. it's much quicker than messing on with one of them bulb planting tool's..

Happy planting Millet,

I did my order yesterday, and I spent far too much ��

Rather than starting a new thread i will add too this, out of the 400 crocus bulbs from gee tee that i planted are nearly all yellow, i got yellow/white/purple and purple and white, only the odd white and purple one have surfaced, have i been ripped of and sold nearly all yellow or do different colours flower at different times.
Thanks
Steve.

Latest posts

Back