Split Wasps with tunnels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS_Smith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just done my first split, will be getting a Queen tomorrow.

Made a tunnel (150mm in length), shimmed to 20mm with some thick cardboard. Tunnel design is the same as Millets.

Bee's hadn't emerged from the tunnel but while I was there a wasp found it's away into the tunnel.

I bunged it up with some grass so nothing in, nothing out.

Was this a good move on my part or am I going to have problems?

How long can I keep contained in the hive?

My plan is to introduce the new queen tomorrow and un bung them, maybe switch the location of my two hives.

What would be peoples suggestions?

Have you got a mesh floor in the Nuc ?
Have they sufficient stores in the Nuc ?
Do you have enough bees in the Nuc ?

I don't like sealing bees in when it's as hot as this for any length of time ..

There are a lot of wasps about .. a tunnel entrance is not the complete answer. If the bees are not enough or strong enough to defend the entrance wasps will get in ..the risk is that a lot of wasps get in. I've got single bee space entrances on my starter nucs - 8mm square. If you are feeding the Nuc there's even more chance of robbing,

If you are looking to balance the colonies you can swap the hive locations but you will bleed the foragers from your other hive so you need to be sure you have enough bees in there or emerging brood for them not to be seriously weakened.

Personally ... as long as the Nuc you have taken has enough as above - I would leave them until the new queen is established .. you can always balance the numbers by adding a donor frame of capped brood from your other colony if they need it.

It's not a Nuc, I was running double brood and split it in two.

Both have OMF and vents covered by wire mesh in the roof.

I think there are enough bee's but they certainly weren't bursting at the seems. My new hive has capped brood on 2-3 frames so in a few days the number should be going up.

I left a feeder in the top of the hive with some wax cappings to be cleaned a few days ago and they are still picking there way through it.

Have you got a mesh floor in the Nuc ?

Pargyle

why is it important as to whether or not a Nuc has an (open) mesh floor, are you thinking of ventilation being aided by it, especially in this warm weather?

Last edited:
TooBee,
because if the nuc had a solid floor, by blocking the entrance there won't be any ventilation - you could cook the bees.

It's not a Nuc, I was running double brood and split it in two.

Both have OMF and vents covered by wire mesh in the roof.

I think there are enough bee's but they certainly weren't bursting at the seems. My new hive has capped brood on 2-3 frames so in a few days the number should be going up.

I left a feeder in the top of the hive with some wax cappings to be cleaned a few days ago and they are still picking there way through it.

You need to keep an eye on what's happening ... entrance reduce down to as little as possible .. careful with the feeding. If they have stores in there I would not feed syrup .. and if you do .. do it in small quantities and only put syrup in the feeder at night.

Once the brood emerges and your queen starts laying the numbers should be well up to a defensive level but need to watch the activity at the hive entrance and be prepared. You can close a hive with a mesh floor down but I'd only do it if there was definite robbing and not for long - it's still very hot.

Ideally, find somewhere that you can take a hive that's being robbed away from your apiary.

Just done my first split, will be getting a Queen tomorrow.

Made a tunnel (150mm in length), shimmed to 20mm with some thick cardboard. Tunnel design is the same as Millets.

Bee's hadn't emerged from the tunnel but while I was there a wasp found it's away into the tunnel.

I bunged it up with some grass so nothing in, nothing out.

Was this a good move on my part or am I going to have problems?

How long can I keep contained in the hive?

My plan is to introduce the new queen tomorrow and un bung them, maybe switch the location of my two hives.

What would be peoples suggestions?

Half the width of the tunnel down with a shim of wood of the correct size and length..and unblock the entrance ASAP... if they can not defend that now you are wasting your time adding a mated Queen..Sorry but that is how i see it..

Last edited:
Half the width of the tunnel down with a shim of wood of the correct size and length..and unblock the entrance ASAP... if they can not defend that now you are wasting your time adding a mated Queen..Sorry but that is how i see it..

Not necessarily .. and it's a bit late when he already has a queen on the way.

"My plan is to introduce the new queen tomorrow and un bung them, maybe switch the location of my two hives."

There are a lot of factors that both cause and affect robbing from wasps.. so far it's only been one wasp having a look ... the worst case may not happen.

As it's not a Nuc I would be inclined to dummy the hives down to the frames they need so that the bees are concentrated in each half of the split as long as they have stores and the queens have room to lay - there's plenty of time for them to build up for winter and to get enough stores in there. No need for a pessimistic view at present ...

Not necessarily .. and it's a bit late when he already has a queen on the way.

"My plan is to introduce the new queen tomorrow and un bung them, maybe switch the location of my two hives."

There are a lot of factors that both cause and affect robbing from wasps.. so far it's only been one wasp having a look ... the worst case may not happen.

As it's not a Nuc I would be inclined to dummy the hives down to the frames they need so that the bees are concentrated in each half of the split as long as they have stores and the queens have room to lay - there's plenty of time for them to build up for winter and to get enough stores in there. No need for a pessimistic view at present ...
Ok.

Thanks all

Queen in today after 24h of being Queenless.

All looked good when I arrived and on opening the hive their numbers were more than I was expecting - though some of the brood may have hatched.

Sandwiched the new queen between two frames of capped brood.

Knocked down the start of some queen cells and will do the same in two days time when I remove the plug and let them eat the candy.

No where near as many wasps as Sunday.

Thanks all

Queen in today after 24h of being Queenless.

All looked good when I arrived and on opening the hive their numbers were more than I was expecting - though some of the brood may have hatched.

Sandwiched the new queen between two frames of capped brood.

Knocked down the start of some queen cells and will do the same in two days time when I remove the plug and let them eat the candy.

No where near as many wasps as Sunday.

Fingers crossed .. Positive Vibes . Positive vibes !

Back