Spider identification please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Does anyone know what type of spider this is? A fellow beekeeper found them in the top of her WBC and unfortunately she smashed :beatdeadhorse5: them up before taking any descent photos. :banghead:

She said they were is a hard clay like cocoon/shell. This isn't something I have heard of before and after trawling around the Net for the past half hour I cant find anything about it either.

Bear in mind that she is rather batty but the photos definitely show something round-ish smashed up.

She also said they were lined up in the roof of the WBC.

I have asked her to put them in a jar and not destroy any future ones that she finds and give them to me.

Cheers for all thoughts and ideas x

I just had to look, didn't I? Even though I knew there was a picture, I just had to look lol :eek:

Why oh why oh why do humans bash first, ask questions later? If I live to be a million years old I'll never explain what is supposed to be the most intelligent animal on the planet.

:hurray::smilielol5::smilielol5: well done Kaz!! You don't know what it is then? Apart from a spider!!

All spiders are the same to me lol, I don't look at them long enough to spot any difference, except in size ;)

Even though I am scared stiff of them ( I know, I know, but I can't help it lol ) I would never harm one. It's not their fault I'm a big wet girl. I would be very upset if someone killed one just because I was scared of it. I won't allow it.

False widow spider? Sounds really interesting. I have never heard of those.

I took a picture of the of the false black widow I found in my garden.

picture.php

Mosquito - maybe you could be right. I have found a few in our garden/garage over the past few years and they all seemed much darker than this one but then again I know there are lots of variations so maybe it is.

Anyway my fellow beekeeper is ringing her local inspector and probably DEFRA just to tell them about this killer spider she has found!!!

Its a lot of fuss about nothing really. Poor little spiders are just trying to get on with their lives :)

Back