Snelgrove board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On finding fully charged QCs (almost capped) I AS'd using a homemade separation board (Demaree style).

I notice its recommended to place a super above the bottom bb, then separation/snelgrove board, then super again and then original bb.

Because the QC were well advanced I simply placed the separation board directly over the bottom bb and then original bb (with 2 charged QCs) above. Wrong? Do I need to insert a super between? If so why?

Would appreciate advice because if I need to insert that super I'll do it tomorrow.

The supers go atop the bottom box because that's the productive part of the stack. It's where the foragers are and/or will return to. The original bb on the top is essentially a bee factory, with field bees being regularly and periodically re-routed to join their sisters beneath the board. In essence, the lower part of the stack in operation, has two entrances, one above the floor and the other(s) above the super(s).

The original bb on the top is essentially a bee factory, with field bees being regularly and periodically re-routed to join their sisters beneath the board.

I like that description, it sums it up perfectly.

I use Snelgrove Board for swarming. g**gle The many uses for a Snellgrove board for a concise and informative article. if you want to make one there are plans with photos on Edinburgh'sbeekeepers association webbsite. I can even control swarming without finding queen or knocking down any queen cells! I know some beekeepers think there is a lot of faffing around with opening and closing doors but it's really very simple once you have read the above article and put it into practice. It also saves on equipment.

I can't find the plans CM on the Edinburgh website have you a link please?

H

sorry if these have been posted before but I have used these pdf's they are very useful.

3 is odd.

Snelgrove's board had pairs of entrances on all 4 sides ...

Not that it matters really, but I have "Swarming - Its Control & Prevention" 13th Edition and the board, which Snelgrove refers to as a "screen board" has entrances on 3 sides, not 4.

I think it's a lovely old book :)

Last edited:
Not that it matters really, but I have "Swarming - Its Control & Prevention" 13th Edition and the board, which Snelgrove refers to as a "screen board" has entrances on 3 sides, not 4.

I think it's a lovely old book :)

Well, if it matters, I learn things on the forum!

I have "Swarming - Its Control & Prevention" 13th Edition and the board, which Snelgrove refers to as a "screen board" has entrances on 3 sides, not 4.

I've still got scans from my copy of the relevant pages for his basic method if anyone wants them.

As I recall his reasoning for no entrances on the front of the hive was the possibility of reverse drift from bottom to top when the main entrance to the hive and the top entrance of the board were open.

Does that make sense?:hairpull:

As I recall his reasoning for no entrances on the front of the hive was the possibility of reverse drift from bottom to top when the main entrance to the hive and the top entrance of the board were open.

Does that make sense?:hairpull:

It makes much sense, and is what the book says. The fourth entrance is also not at all required.

I'd recommend reading it, it's actually very informative on a few things and, as a bonus, very very thin :)

Latest posts

Back