How far apart for double screen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Thinking of making myself a double screen board for future swarm control vertical splits.
How far apart do the meshes need to be to prevent trophylaxis?
Thanks
Neil

Mine are 12mm, they do the job. 18mm would make for a heavy board.

For a bit more work they could be made hollow using two pieces of 5.5mm ply. But perhaps that occurs to me because at the moment I have more offcuts of 5.5mm hardwood ply than you can shake a hairy stick at.

James

I'm just now thinking that a solid aluminium sheet plus beespace each side may be just as good. Ali has very high thermal conductivity (5x that of steel) so may have a decent effect in spreading heat of boxes.

I'm just now thinking that a solid aluminium sheet plus beespace each side may be just as good. Ali has very high thermal conductivity (5x that of steel) so may have a decent effect in spreading heat of boxes.

You could even clean it in the dishwasher :D

James

Thinking of rims either side (probably wood) with hingeable entrance/exit on each side above and below, to allow funnelling flying bees into the bottom box of a reverse vertical a/s.
Essentially a snelgrove board minus the central mesh/excluder.

Last edited:
Thinking of rims either side (probably wood) with hingeable entrance exit on each side above and below, to allow funnelling flying bees into the bottom box of a reverse vertical a/s
So two standard CBs stacked back to back with extended depth rim with hinged entrance/exit section on the outer facing edge of each. Mesh over hole in CBs. When not needed in this form you can just use them as two separate CBs and replace the mesh with something else such as a rhombus escape to turn them into clearer boards or use them as a CB with eke if feeding fondant or top vaping.

I say standard CBs, perhaps could use clear ones not wood. If you can made a rigid frame, I've had some success making clear CBs from the clear CBs Maisemore sell as poly hive CBs although I'm not sure how well they'd couple with a rhombus escape.

Back