SMIF

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conclusion​

The oral and topical uses of honey as CAM show therapeutic promise, as honey improves functional body systems, reverses pathological conditions and gives enhanced health values. Natural honey contains antioxidants, phytochemicals and other bioactive substances that produce desired beneficial effects in almost all organs of the human and animal body. The different honey types show biochemical activities, adding value to honey’s apitherapeutic potency and promoting natural honey as a choice therapeutic agent, even when conventional therapy appears ineffective. The superior efficacy of honey, coupled with its wide application in apitherapy, makes it a complementary and alternative medicine for most ailments, including cancer. The biological, physical and chemical properties derived from honey’s constituents interact uniquely and work synergistically to bring forth the desired beneficial effects. Hence, the mechanistic insights into the overall protective effects of honey indicates the presence of a unique ‘synergistic multiple ingredients factor’.

Last edited:
An exhaustive and exhausting account making big claims. I haven't the time or energy to read all the papers quoted but I wonder if any of them are prospective controlled trials of honey v. placebo for all the ailments mentioned?

Conclusion​

The oral and topical uses of honey as CAM show therapeutic promise, as honey improves functional body systems, reverses pathological conditions and gives enhanced health values. Natural honey contains antioxidants, phytochemicals and other bioactive substances that produce desired beneficial effects in almost all organs of the human and animal body. The different honey types show biochemical activities, adding value to honey’s apitherapeutic potency and promoting natural honey as a choice therapeutic agent, even when conventional therapy appears ineffective. The superior efficacy of honey, coupled with its wide application in apitherapy, makes it a complementary and alternative medicine for most ailments, including cancer. The biological, physical and chemical properties derived from honey’s constituents interact uniquely and work synergistically to bring forth the desired beneficial effects. Hence, the mechanistic insights into the overall protective effects of honey indicates the presence of a unique ‘synergistic multiple ingredients factor’.
so just a load of pseudo scientific guff to state what everyone knew anyway (AKA 'the obvious')

More BBB#.
Cannot be bothered to read it.

Edit
# BBB Bullexcrement Baffles Brains.

Looked up the first citation in the haematology section. It's a study which tested 12 people's blood after putting them on a two week controlled diet then two weeks of their usual diet plus including honey. Can't access full text but abstract makes no mention of controls (outside of them being their own controls) so I would describe this as a poor quality study with significant risk of confounding and using it doesn't fill me with confidence about the rest of the citations. Although that's only an n of 1 on my part.

Certainly not working for me this week. I am on immunotherapy and have honey on/ in most things. Picked up a chest infection last week from a ill co-worker, this morning my peak flow was below 140 and was almost sent to hospital, but stiff objection dissolved that silly idea. I do have oxygen at home, fortunately.
Works on wounds, definitely, but anything else would most probably be a load of c---, IMHO at this moment.

I think Hedgerow made it quite clear in the last part of his post - (IMHO). I think I agree with his opinion tho. 😀
especially as 'raw' honey only exists in fairytales and the minds of the tofu knitters

By jove thats a wordy technical pile of words to say it does you good - didn't we know that already?
I don't see any reason to knock the study ... anything that adds credence to what most of my customers already believe (that honey is, in many ways, beneficial to their health and well being) is a good thing in my book. I don't care whether they call it honey, raw honey or natural honey - it has to be good for all of us beekeepers. Save the knocking for something that are really dubious and discountable claims.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but it bears repeating. My grandfather was shot through the right hand in the first world war .. the wound became badly infected and despite having tubes draining the sepsis the doctors declared that he would need his hand amuputating (as a bricklayer before he joined up this was not what he wanted to hear). A french nurse who was atteniding him asked the doctor to delay and brought in some honey from her bees which she applied as a poultice, directly to the wound. The wound healed and a few weeks later he was back in the frontline. He survived the war, became a builder and had honey virtually every day of his life, living to a ripe old age. He used to show me the scars from the bullet wound and the scars where the drains were inserted into the veins in the back of his hand and he always regretted not being able to keep in touch with the nurse who saved his hand from amputation.

I have no doubt about the healing benefits of honey and if it's good on the outside then there's no reason to believe that it won't work from the inside as well.

especially as 'raw' honey only exists in fairytales and the minds of the tofu knitters
Sorry, raw honey does exist in the jars of many ‘natural beekeepers’ who do not feed sugar to their bees.
Some of you are really hard to convince that some things may actually be better. but it does not matter - the only people who are disadvantaged by obstinacy are yourselves.

raw honey does exist in the jars minds of many ‘natural beekeepers’
There you are - fixed it for you
So what is a 'natural beekeeper'? or more to the point, an 'unnatural' one?

Raw honey is not a honey description is it?
Most people that argue for it use “not heating above hive temperature” as the gold standard
Sorry, raw honey does exist in the jars of many ‘natural beekeepers’ who do not feed sugar to their bees.
You have just added another
It just adds to the confusion.

Latest posts

Back