Small Hive Beetle & the SBI

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I understand that correctly -
The holes have to be big enough for the beetles to fall through.
And you are using #8 which is too small to allow big beetles to drop through into the trap.

What is the downside to using bigger hole #6 ?? (If the ideal #7 isn't around ...)

Yes, sorry...
#8 is too small for some larger beetles to drop or be pushed through.
#6 lets bees through.

SBI visited, inspected both my colonies ( queens slowing down laying rate, but colonies both very good)
left me with SHB traps, sample bottles, labels, envelopes, Uncapping tool, instructions for use.

Interesting thread. Thanks Vermillion.

I don't suppose you'll find anything Tony - the Outer Harbour doesn't bring much in!

SBI visited, inspected both my colonies ( queens slowing down laying rate, but colonies both very good)
left me with SHB traps, sample bottles, labels, envelopes, Uncapping tool, instructions for use.

What kind of traps did they bring you? And what were you meant to do with the uncapping tool? I am just curious as to what instructions you were given.

That is...I know what an uncapping tool is for, but was wondering the instructions given in the context of SHB.

Last edited:
What kind of traps did they bring you? And what were you meant to do with the uncapping tool? I am just curious as to what instructions you were given.

That is...I know what an uncapping tool is for, but was wondering the instructions given in the context of SHB.

traps are a long strip ( 4" wide x 18" long) of black correx.

uncapping tool is for drone comb inspection looking for tropilaelaps

Interesting thread. Thanks Vermillion.

I don't suppose you'll find anything Tony - the Outer Harbour doesn't bring much in!

true, but the beetles also travel in fruit, and the many supply vessels and support ships that frequent the port do come from al over the world.

true, but the beetles also travel in fruit, and the many supply vessels and support ships that frequent the port do come from al over the world.

Yes, this is how they think they got here. In fruit.

They had been regularly inspecting swarms near the dock, and asked beekeepers to inspect their hives.

Yes, this is how they think they got here. In fruit.

They had been regularly inspecting swarms near the dock, and asked beekeepers to inspect their hives.

we have been the sames correx bits and pieces becasue we have hives near the M25 lorry park at South Mimms, They are worried a Continental lorry parked up over night will bring SHB into our area,we caught nothing but baby earwigs so far

You can buy SHB oil traps in the UK.
Just to be on the safe side we ordered a batch yesterday and they sould arrive today

Dr Dave Tarpy (North Carolina State University) is speaking at the INIB conference this coming Saturday. Given the SHB outbreak in Italy, he has been asked to speak about SHB and management techniques etc. I am meeting him tonight and am looking forward to conversing with someone with first hand experience of the beetle.

You can buy SHB oil traps in the UK.
Just to be on the safe side we ordered a batch yesterday and they sould arrive today

From what I have heard and seen written, I would be surprised if SHB survived in Scotland. More of a worry for me in the far SW were frosts are few and far between.
S

I met Dave Tarpy last night and another American beekeeper, George Wilson. Both have SHB in their areas, both have encountered slime outs in hives and honey houses, but they perceive SHB as something to be managed in much the same way that varroa is managed. They referred to some of the beetle traps available which use cider vinegar and mineral oil and commented that these do work.

If the presence of SHB were to be confirmed in Ireland (North or South), I got the impression that there is real concern that the resources to eradicate or contain it are not there.

A huge and pressing problem will be informing beekeepers about how to identify this pest and how best to manage bees in its presence, particularly those that just don't listen...... There is real concern that illegal imports will screw things up for the wider beekeeping community.

From what I have heard and seen written, I would be surprised if SHB survived in Scotland. More of a worry for me in the far SW were frosts are few and far between.
S
SHB need a soil temp of around 21c /70F people seem to think Scotland is a frozen waste land the temperature in our top apiary yesterday afternoon was 22c . Last winter where we are there was only 2 mornings when we had a frost.
When you watch the TV weather forecast and its showing Snow that's mainly in the mountains or highlands.

BBKA issued a statement today
25 September 2014 FURTHER STATEMENT RE SMALL HIVE BEETLE IN ITALY
BBKA representatives attended the meeting of the Bee Health Advisory Forum held at Defra’s offices on Millbank, on 23 September 2014.
At our request, the discovery of Small Hive Beetle (SHB) in South West Italy was a priority item on the agenda. We learned that the Italian authorities have established a 100km exclusion zone around the apiary where SHB was first found.No exports of bees will be
permitted from within this area. However, we expressed the strong view that movements of bees carried a far lower risk than that of the shipment of fruit, vegetables and other plant materials from this area and which are more likely to spread SHB.
The BBKA and other stakeholders at the meeting pressed Defra hard to take steps to avert this major risk via shipments of produce. We are unhappy with an approach which is dependent principally on the actions of the localauthorities or on containment measures once SHB is found in the UK. We have insisted that Defra keeps us fully informed of developments and the measures put into effect to combat this threat with all vigour. We will share this information with members as and when received.
Dr David Aston
Chair BBKA Technical and Environmental Committee

Last edited:
BBKA issued a statement today
25 September 2014 FURTHER STATEMENT RE SMALL HIVE BEETLE IN ITALY
BBKA representatives attended the meeting of the Bee Health Advisory Forum held at Defra’s offices on Millbank, on 23 September 2014.
At our request, the discovery of Small Hive Beetle (SHB) in South West Italy was a priority item on the agenda. We learned that the Italian authorities have established a 100km exclusion zone around the apiary where SHB was first found.No exports of bees will be
permitted from within this area.
However, we expressed the strong view that movements of bees carried a far lower risk than that of the shipment of fruit, vegetables and other plant materials from this area and which are more likely to spread SHB.
The BBKA and other stakeholders at the meeting pressed Defra hard to take steps to avert this major risk via shipments of produce. We are unhappy with an approach which is dependent principally on the actions of the localauthorities or on containment measures once SHB is found in the UK. We have insisted that Defra keeps us fully informed of developments and the measures put into effect to combat this threat with all vigour. We will share this information with members as and when received.
Dr David Aston
Chair BBKA Technical and Environmental Committee

For comparison DEFRA's contingency planning is for a "Statutory Infected Area" of just 16 km.
With no controls whatsoever on fruit and veg as far as I can tell. Just bee-related stuff.

Latest posts

Back