Small Hive Beetle & the SBI

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
just been contacted by our local SBI regarding SHB.
she's visiting next week with some SHB traps so I can monitor and inform the SBI if I find anything.
SBI (Sylvia Pettit) chose my apiary because I'm close to the docks on the coast.

it's good that fera are doing something about this potential pest

Airports and seaports are high risk areas, and fruit and veg wholesalers/markets.

I understand they will also be putting out some SHB traps in hives nr Norwich International Airport, don't know about Yarmouth Market, though!!

The day SHB comes in is the day I put up the for sale sign. After seeing what this things can do first hand I wouldnt want to see what they would do in our climate.

The day SHB comes in is the day I put up the for sale sign. After seeing what this things can do first hand I wouldnt want to see what they would do in our climate.

Would you care to share what you have seen? I for one would find it interesting. I know what a SHB looks like but really about it.

just been contacted by our local SBI regarding SHB.
she's visiting next week with some SHB traps so I can monitor and inform the SBI if I find anything.
SBI (Sylvia Pettit) chose my apiary because I'm close to the docks on the coast.

:iagree: I've been doing checks over the last 2 years, this'll be the 3rd, for a group apiary. It's near a large import garden centre.

Secondhand experience of SHB (from my daughter who has firsthand experience) it sounds like a disaster.
Along with traps, the bees are 'kept tight'. I would imagine this approach over here would only elevate the varroa situation, so a combination of both these pests? I really don't want to think about it.
Incidentally, she reckons they are horrid things, all over the place not just the hives, squishing them daily around the cottage and other buildings.

I offered my hives for monitoring as some of them are about half a mile of Heathrow runway 1 and the plains practically skim the top of the lime trees on their approach but they have plenty of hives close to Heathrow already.

They also told me that they were more concerned with ports as they are a higher risk and it is likely to be the potted houseplant that is likely to bring in the SHB.

I've seen some horrid videos of hives alive with writhing larvae.
Ugggggghhhhhh. I have a thing about maggots.

And how they might breed beetles to infest managed colonies

Not for long i suspect, they would soon be wiped out,along with any other unmanaged colonys. The beetles apparently like compost heaps as well,and are fond of melons...perhaps we should ban the import of them, along with other fruit and pot plants.

we will all have to treat them organicaly as well noooooooooooooo chemicles remember

Please don't despair!

They arrived in Hawaii two years ago and caught many beekeepers off guard.
But since then, so much work has been done to educate beekeepers and share information, a cohesive beekeeper communication network was really not in place here.

The beetles arrived and yes, found rotting fruit on the ground and took up residence in many, many hives and there were losses.

But, we have in the past year really seen an incredible bounceback, we ALL use oil trays and screened bottom boards. We have to keep the beeyard clean, we have to be diligent. But we are doing OK! Whereas in the first year people lost hives constantly, now, it is an isolated incident.

We are also seeing our bees attack the beetles and slam them into the screened bottom boards, and fly off with them when they can grab them. The bees are beginning to help in the battle.

I have not had my hive for that long, and it is discouraging to watch them enter at night when the bees are too lethargic to stop them. But I find them in the oil trap, and I have not seen any larvae, nor have we seen any larvae at the bee yard in several weeks, where there are 60-70 hives, all with oil traps.

We just keep working on a solution, I am working on a trap for outside the hive, close to the entrance, to emulate the hive opening and trap them in oil before they get in. I am not quite there yet with the lure, but they have landed on the traps, so they can be diverted from the opening....

It is a HUGE problem, but at the same time diligent beekeepers are the best defense, and I would hate to see anyone give up! Its demoralizing, but we have seen such good recovery at some beeyards, and we were taken by surprise.

I have my hive on cinder, out in the full sun. Our state apiarist has said full sun and oil traps are the best defensive measures to take. I do not know anyone who has had to treat for beetles with chemicals, but thats not to say no one has....

be of good cheer!!!

Latest posts

Back