Sex Change Goose

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Half way through last year's laying season, one of my two geese stopped laying and gradually took on the characteristics of a gander, showing signs of aggression and protecting the other goose. I hoped this situation might right itself this season, but it seems the sex change is permanent - one goose definitely laying, the other bird now presumably a hermaphrodite? A neighbouring farmer tells me my 'goose' is known as a WillJill.

Dont wish to intrude on this posting but I could do with a female emden goose for my male if anyone has one to sell or exchange for a male?
Just pm me. Thanks

It's most likely permanent and also not a true hermaphrodite- technically now intersex.

Theoretically could produce viable semen although whether this would lead to fertile eggs I don't know as I don't know if any of the accessory reproductive organs or the phallus would also develop.

We kept hens for a decade. All female. One of the first ones never laid and acted as the protector of the others, would go for us if we tried to pick one up, etc. Apparently this is common in all-female flocks, one becomes masculinised, though after it died no others did this.

We kept hens for a decade. All female. One of the first ones never laid and acted as the protector of the others, would go for us if we tried to pick one up, etc. Apparently this is common in all-female flocks, one becomes masculinised, though after it died no others did this.
That’s just standard in my experience, the top hen will normally be more aggressive to its subordinates and humans who try interfere with the flock but I’ve never noticed them not laying specifically.

It's most likely permanent and also not a true hermaphrodite- technically now intersex.

Theoretically could produce viable semen although whether this would lead to fertile eggs I don't know as I don't know if any of the accessory reproductive organs or the phallus would also develop.
Well, here's the evidence that it can happen. As an experiment I set four goose eggs to incubate and all four eggs have hatched. I just wanted to satisfy myself one way or the other, never really expecting to get any fertile eggs, let alone 100%. Now, what to do with the goslings ...

Goslings.jpg

Back