Seeding Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodenBeam

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
Seeding honey has always been a bit hit and miss for me in the past so I've relied on stocks of OSR to satisfy the creamed/set customers. This years OSR was pretty much non existent (again!) & I now find myself dabbling in the black arts again with some success I'm pleased to say.
My query to all the 'seedy experts not worthy', will the introduction of a quantity of 'seed' honey to borage induce a quick set to this typically liquid variety of honey?
It might be a bit on the bland side is also a concern of mine.......

Thoughts/ comments most welcome.

Never tried seeding borage honey....get more money in liquid form £10/lb.
Blandest honey I know of...but some folks love it.

Seeding honey has always been a bit hit and miss for me in the past so I've relied on stocks of OSR to satisfy the creamed/set customers. This years OSR was pretty much non existent (again!) & I now find myself dabbling in the black arts again with some success I'm pleased to say.
My query to all the 'seedy experts not worthy', will the introduction of a quantity of 'seed' honey to borage induce a quick set to this typically liquid variety of honey?
It might be a bit on the bland side is also a concern of mine.......
Thoughts/ comments most welcome.

Confirms my long-held suspicions. After hearing rumours I've never managed to discover borage in this part of Suffolk (shared with OP). There must be a dark web, a borage mafia, which conceals info on the secret locations. Time to spill the beans Wooden Beam. :drool5:

Think about it. Why does borage tend to stay liquid? Is a small amout of seeding honey likely to succeed - especially if your seeding success has been hit and miss previously?

Probably more likely to induce a slow granulation, I would think. I doubt there are many, if any, that have tried it.

Most beekeepers would probably not be aware of the relatively high sucrose content of borage honey

Most beekeepers would probably not be aware of the relatively high sucrose content of borage honey

You are right about beekeepers not thinking about why borage honey is slow to granulate. Doesn’t cross their mind to check out why, even if they notice the difference. It is all on ‘goggle’ somewhere, if not inthe better beekeeping tomes.

Back