OSR honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am trying to cream honey and finding it really difficult. I warmed up 3 buckets of OSR honey at 40 deg and poured 2 of them through a filter into a settling tank. The next bucket didn't go through the filter, so I put it back in the warming cabinet and put a heat belt on the settling tank. I didn't get the seed honey in as I thought the heat belt would keep the honey in the tank liquid until I added the reheated bucket and then the seed. However a day later, the honey in the tank is now at 26 degrees and a lot more viscous than it was. Do I need to start again or will the honey at 26 deg still follow the seed when I add it?

This is my second attempt. The first attempt didn't work at all in 3 out of 4 buckets and set like concrete. I thought that may have been because I didn't filter the honey after warming it. I have one bucket where the original creaming process seemed to work and am planning on using that as seed this time.

Don't think he does. He says it is best to let it set at 14 degs , but that's not what I'm asking.

You'll need to go above 40C for melting out the crystals in the OSR ... 50C overnight, filter, cool to low 30's with the seed, mix seed and melted OSR and allow to re-set at about 12C mixing thoroughly daily. Once it's completely thickened (it won't set), warm gently to mid-30's so it runs from the tank and bottle it.

Back