Robbers allowed in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich0909

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I have a colony which was a large cast about 7 weeks ago, they have drawn 8 commercial frames, the queen is mated and laying well and they have plenty of stores. Today there is a large number of robbers all around the hive, the colony bees are coming and going and bringing in large loads of pollen but they seem to be ignoring the robbers and letting them come and go unchallenged. Not a single fight in progress outside of the hive.
Any ideas why this might be and how to stop the robbing? I have reduced the entrance to about 5cm * 1cm.

Rich

I have had sometimes that kind of hives. Bees did not identyfy neighbour bees.
Only way is take the hive away to 2 mile distance.

Robbers work so quickly that there is not much time to try other tricks.
You may carry hive in the middle of day. Then on site a nuc which gather foragers. Then return foragers to the main hive.

Once I did that trick and returned the hive 3 days later. Robbing started at once.

Yes fairly sure they are robbers - much darker bees than the colony and displaying typical robber behaviour sniffing round under the OMF and the back of the hive and drifting across to the entrance from the side rather than flying straight in.

I have had sometimes that kind of hives. Bees did not identyfy neighbour bees.
Only way is take the hive away to 2 mile distance.

Robbers work so quickly that there is not much time to try other tricks.
You may carry hive in the middle of day. Then on site a nuc which gather foragers. Then return foragers to the main hive.

Once I did that trick and returned the hive 3 days later. Robbing started at once.

Thanks Finman, that was going to be my solution if no one had any better ideas.

Rich

Thanks Finman, that was going to be my solution if no one had any better ideas.

Rich

A robber hive may carry 10-15 kg honey away from hive a day. They like to kill queen too.

I have sometimes such thing that I give garlic syrup to the hive its aroma will be different next morning. But have you time to wait better ideas

During that time when you sit here and wait a miracle, you allready will transport the hive away. Keep hurry! Then return to look one hive owners' opinions...

If hive is too big, split it into 2 pieces or 3 pieces

Last edited:
Back