Requeening an AS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last week I discovered the queenless hive had not managed to raise a queen from the queen calls they had so this week I was going to add a frame of eggs.
However I found a sealed queen cell (and eggs) in the donor hive. So I moved the frame with the queen cell to to the AS hive.

Did I do the right thing? How will I know weather this manipulation has worked? I intend to look for superceedure cells in the donor hive next week - should I add a frame of eggs to the others to check they have a potential queen or not or leave them undisturbed for a few weeks?

should I add a frame of eggs to the others

A bit late for this. If the hive is possibly Q+, that cell you added is possibly toast already.

Definitely no queen in the hive until I added the queen cell. should I leave them now or check the queen cell has hatched next week?

Definitely no queen in the hive until I added the queen cell. should I leave them now or check the queen cell has hatched next week?
What signs are there and what does their behaviour tell you? I'd be inclined to think there is a queen there that you've missed and that new QC you added is indeed toast.

Last week I discovered the queenless hive had not managed to raise a queen from the queen calls they had so this week I was going to add a frame of eggs.
However I found a sealed queen cell (and eggs) in the donor hive. So I moved the frame with the queen cell to to the AS hive.

Did I do the right thing? How will I know weather this manipulation has worked? I intend to look for superceedure cells in the donor hive next week - should I add a frame of eggs to the others to check they have a potential queen or not or leave them undisturbed for a few weeks?

Well your test frame will confirm if your hive has a queen or not.

Why did you suspect the hive had not managed to raise a queen from the queen cells they had?

You are going to look for supercedure cells in the donor hive next week. Why do you suspect a problem if so you just removed a queen cell from this hive.

Check the test frame in 4 days time and if no qc’s then give the bees time to re-queen. As you said, the donor hive also had eggs so the bees should have the materials to work with if needed.

Latest posts

Back