Requeening 2of2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I plan on Requeening in the spring, my highest priority is calm docile bees at all times, my second is to have succeeding generations carry on these traits (hopefully)

Thus I believe I should be looking for a Carnolian or Italian Queen but which is likely to be calmer and to have dominant calm traits?

I plan on Requeening in the spring, my highest priority is calm docile bees at all times, my second is to have succeeding generations carry on these traits (hopefully)

Thus I believe I should be looking for a Carnolian or Italian Queen but which is likely to be calmer and to have dominant calm traits?

I asked this question a while back and many recommended Buckfast, and have not regretted it, they are the most docile and friendly bees.

I'd agree with that. In my view Buckfasts are a pleasure to work with.

I understood Buckfast bees can quickly become aggressive again when crossed with feral bees.......was I wrong? I am looking to improve the genetics of the local bee population too!

Trouble is ... whatever you start out with they are going to interbreed with whatever is in the drone gene pool in your area so unless you can do II or you have a completely isolated area you are going to end up with local mongrels and whatever characteristics that come with it.

Perhaps you should be looking for a local source of queens or Nucs where you can see, from the beekeeper, that they are a well mannered strain ... unless you buy in pure bred buckfast (well ..what passes for 'pure' buckfast these days) mated queens and accept that you will, probably, have to buy in new ones whenever you split.

I understood Buckfast bees can quickly become aggressive again when crossed with feral bees.......was I wrong? I am looking to improve the genetics of the local bee population too!
I have found that the Buckfast I have do not show any major signs of aggressiveness and am now on some 4th & 5th gen queens. I believe the problem with aggressive bees mostly stems from the drone pool around you.
I have four apiary sites and have attracted had swarms at all, swarms from one site are consistently nasty, so I don't put any virgins close to it, the other three sites the Buckfasts virgins all seem fine.
S

I have found that the Buckfast I have do not show any major signs of aggressiveness and am now on some 4th & 5th gen queens. I believe the problem with aggressive bees mostly stems from the drone pool around you.
I have four apiary sites and have attracted had swarms at all, swarms from one site are consistently nasty, so I don't put any virgins close to it, the other three sites the Buckfasts virgins all seem fine.
S

My descendants from a buckfast queen are good to deal with and even tempered. However the one daughter hive that became queenless when a virgin didn't make it back from mating became totally offensive until I united them with a bought in queened nuc. Now they are placid once more.

Mine are apparently Buckfast cross.
Sometimes they're alright...and sometimes they're...
...not
:)

Mine are apparently Buckfast cross.
Sometimes they're alright...and sometimes they're...
...not
:)

Same as mine.
One lot reliably gentle the other three can be tetchy or so I thought but had bee inspector round today and he breezed through them.......sigh
Practice, I suppose.

Trouble is ... whatever you start out with they are going to interbreed with whatever is in the drone gene pool in your area so unless you can do II or you have a completely isolated area you are going to end up with local mongrels and whatever characteristics that come with it.

Perhaps you should be looking for a local source of queens or Nucs where you can see, from the beekeeper, that they are a well mannered strain ...

:iagree:
Start off with buying a queen from a trustworthy source & if local you can maybe visit the apiary to see for yourself. However, once you get swarms/splits & queens get mated locally then it is just a matter of hoping for the best - if they turn out nasty then requeen.

I know somebody who mainly uses his bees to teach beginners/do basic assessments etc and he selects for gentleness, and they really are very placid. Maybe you can find someone like that?

Latest posts

Back