Requeening 1 of 2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As I have had some problems with aggressive bees this year I am going to re queen in the spring, when, hopefully, the numbers in the hive are lower. Given that the bees are aggressive what is the best way to requeen with the least amount of manipulations? At the moment splitting the hive into two and putting the queenless half seems the best formula as I will only have to go through half the brood box in one go.

Please bear in mind that I only have weekends and evenings to carry out manipulations!

This is what I would do, split hive, leave for four days, see which has eggs, requeen one without eggs, find queen in one with eggs, kill her, leave for at least 48 hours, reunite with queen right colony as soon as you see eggs in there.
E

As I have had some problems with aggressive bees this year I am going to re queen in the spring, when, hopefully, the numbers in the hive are lower. ...

One problem would be that when the numbers in your hive are at their lowest, the availability of mated, laying queens will be scarce. Unless you were planning to import ... :nono:

Latest posts

Back