'Remote' Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

I have been offered a few sites that look very promising, including the two in Somerset that I offered on here yesterday with no takers (which surprised me!!). One of these sites seems to good an opportunity to miss...

However, the distance makes them a little remote for regular beekeeping.

Does anyone have any experience of remote beekeeping?

Obviously, there are key points to visit the hives during the year, but am more interested whether it worked for them or whether it was a complete disaster...

Cheers
Pete

Consider using AS for swarm management then use the out apiary for one of the two hives. Use it periodically each year. I presume you are not married to making it a permanent apiary

how remote are we talking?
I keep bees on my woodland, so only get to check the bees every weekend, I think I already missed a swarm out of one of my hives, but it's not the end of the world,

I don't even look at my local bees every weekend! I have a spreadsheet rota based on requirements...

Very remote! 1 hour+ away!

Consider using AS for swarm management then use the out apiary for one of the two hives. Use it periodically each year. I presume you are not married to making it a permanent apiary

I have at least three people very keen for bees to be on their farms.

The one I am most interested in, has small fields and big hedgerows, very close to a number of villages and a huge flood plain that is left as a water meadow.

If I can make it work, it would be permanent

sounds rather nice - how far from your base? Too far from mine, unfortunately!

Does anyone have any experience of remote beekeeping?

No, but I have experience of not pulling the hive apart once a week beekeeping which is essentially what you'd be doing if you used these sites. My bees are as happy as can be, thriving and just getting on with their getting on. They seem to be quite content with me not interfering; so if I were you I'd give these new sites a go.

Ian Molyneaux is talking at the Scottish BKA autumn convention on "Long range beekeeping" ... in his case in Ireland. He lives Manchester. 27th September. Barony College between Moffat and Dumfries.

We have bees in a 15 mile raduis of Gloucester and have colonies in Hampshire also which is a good 1hr 30m from us. All kept up with regular under 10 day inspections.

Its expensive.

Its expensive.

No pain, no gain. If they were not economic, you would not do it. I expect your comment really means less profit than locally situated bees, when time and travelling costs are taken into account. But overall more profit than not?

Ask Finman about remote bee keeping, he knows a bit about it ;)

IIRC, Donald Sims in his book 60 years with bees writes about living some 250 miles from his apiary in Northumberland.

Back