Red Wine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have quite a few bunches of black grapes that I usually leave to the birds but this year has been exceptional so I have been thinking to take a few to make some red wine but how many do I need to make 5 litres of wine.
I have also thought about using a centrifugal juicing machine I have ?

Try some through your juicer.
See what yield you get.

If you get 2/3 juice 1/3 pulp by weight (for example) then you are going to need 7.5kg grapes for 5kg (roughly 5 litres) of juice.

Juice would be about 1050 density, so 5 litres would actually be about 5% less than 5 litres.

But your big unknown is the extraction efficiency of your juicer …

// You need the skins to make *red* wine, IIRC …

Last edited:
Thanks for that
It's a very good juice extractor, the pulp comes out almost dry
I have more than enough grapes, I'll let you know how many kg's I had to extract

to make the wine red. if you just use the juice it will be white wine

so 5 litres would actually be about 5% less than 5 litres.-

Please explain how. That is a new one for me!!! Oh, and we don't measure density, we use Specific Gravity. An all too subtle difference for some.

Please explain how. That is a new one for me!!! Oh, and we don't measure density, we use Specific Gravity. An all too subtle difference for some.

Glad you were able to follow despite my silly typo! :)
And "1050 density" and such comes from long enough messing around with Marcy buckets …

I wonder glass bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon old about 26 years, not some special conditions stored ( just "dark place"). Is it rotten or good for opening?

I wonder glass bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon old about 26 years, not some special conditions stored ( just "dark place"). Is it rotten or good for opening?

Only one way to find out

Absolutelly right. Every year remember of it and think when to open it, and years pass so quick and it survives..
:cheers2:

Absolutelly right. Every year remember of it and think when to open it, and years pass so quick and it survives..
:cheers2:

Most wines mature best in the cask and slowly for a few years after they are bottled ... but every wine reaches a point of perfection depending upon a huge number of factors after which point it no longer gets better, it stays the same for a period of time then... it gets worse.

Every wine ... indeed, every vintage is different.

This may help you:

http://www.vinote.com/Info/WineVarieties.aspx

However, I'd drink it and find out ... what are you waiting for ?

Always wanted for some occasion when family together, but at the end some other wines bump in, or completelly forgot it. Or what happen in the most cases in such high speed living can't get all of us together..
Interesting link, thanks.
Prognosis at that link is good: " out-live almost all other wines". :)

I'm confused. Could you explain please. I have just read that its is a ratio of densities. Is that why specific gravity is not considered a measurement?

Surely we can measure density in g/cm3 ( but this would be far less accurate if you are not going to use large volumes to do the calculation, which is not practical for home brew)

Just asking, I'm not looking for an argument.

Last edited:
And keeps us with our two feet firmly on the grown, except a few who are filled with hot air

Latest posts

Back