Re-queening two aggressive colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
I let two of my colonies produce their own queens last year, both colonies continued to build up strongly and were large by the end of the season. Unfortunately they are both unacceptably aggressive so I'm looking to re-queen this season.

I'd like to get them changed before they rebuild their numbers and start drone production. I'd prefer not to import queens but just wondered if anyone had other suggestions?

Thanks

Move the colonies to a location where their aggression is not a problem to passers by
Put in some drone foundation, and cull when capped
get a "nice" local queen bred locally or raise some yourself from you own behaving colonies... that will be end May / June and requeen

Do not be tempted to import... possibly you may find someone with an overwintered nuc or queen?

Alternative would be to merge nasties with another colony of better temperament ( cull nasty queens first)

Yeghes da

You may change first to imported queens, and when you get local queens, change to them then. Aggression is very bad thing not only to you but to other human beings and animals. Bees have killed dogs and other animals at home yard.

Have you tried Hivemaker? He might have some overwintered queens.

I let two of my colonies produce their own queens last year, both colonies continued to build up strongly and were large by the end of the season. Unfortunately they are both unacceptably aggressive so I'm looking to re-queen this season.

I'd like to get them changed before they rebuild their numbers and start drone production. I'd prefer not to import queens but just wondered if anyone had other suggestions?

Thanks

Are they aggressive all the time? I find bad temper can vary at different times of the season, being usually very good tempered in the early spring, with temper sometimes deteriorating as the season progressives. Might be an idea to see how they behave at the first inspection of the spring. Just a thought

Hi snelgrove, yes consistently aggressive regardless of weather etc. Just the two hives on site so little competition and I've not seen any wasp problem. Luckily they're at least 500m from the nearest farm cottages but even so I've told the farmer owner to exercise caution until I can remedy the situation.
No messing with these darlings, they miss out the pinging stage and go straight for the attack. Also prepared to follow 100m+, through trees etc. Not pleasant. My other colonies are like flies in comparison

Yates would only have used English derived petrol (he is a UKIP man).

Latest posts

Back