Re-Queening aggressive hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
Hi,,,does anyone have any pointers on the best way to re-queen an aggressive hive ,,,,,,

Many thanks in advance

Firstly - how easy is it to get at the existing queen? I would obtain her replacement then go into the hive, find the quen and make her into a tasteful fencepost decoration. wait tow to three hours and put in the new queen - in her introduction cage with something (insulating tape or the like) over the candy plug so that they cannot release her yet. Close up and leave for a few days (in this case I'd say at least 48 hours maybe 72) Go back into the hive make sure the queen is OK and observe the bees' attitude towards her - if they seem fairly happy,wandering over the cage and just trying to get at her (but not aggressively) check all frames in case any QC's have been made and knock down, remove protective tape, put cage back in the same position as before, close up and wait 2 or 3 days then have a quick peep to see whether she has been released - if not see why not (could be an obstruction or something) if all looks well, give her a week or so to settle in before your first (not too intrusive) inspection. If she is unmarked, I would wait a full brood cycle before marking.

Many thanks for the advice , I will be going in with my armour on weds ... Wish me luck .....

Latest posts

Back