Ratchet straps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can anyone recommend ratchet straps that don't perish after one winter outside.

I got some at£20 which I use for kayaking and boats but I think of left out they will rust too. Buy some cheap eBay ones and chuck away when had it is what I do.

straps

add this number into flea bay 282339618477

http://tinyurl.com/hwvt3mh are what I bought 3 years ago in the sales.. £2 each iirc.

Out all year, nothing rusted or perished... perfect working order - just like their owner - err...perhaps not like their owner..

i bought mine in Lidl in france 15 years ago for bringing a table back. they have been in my apiary since I started beekeeping and not come back indoors, I think they are made of some alloy as they haven't rusted and the webbing is still as new colour. they were 5eu for 4

A timely post. I went to my local hardwear store today to buy some webbing straps for my new poly hives. It was closed, so l'll be going back tomorrow. The shop stocks ratchet straps and ones with plastic clips. I was after the latter, as I felt that there would be less disturbance putting them on and taking them off, and they are certainly a sight easier. Bios there a down side to the clips?
Which should I get?

For my poly nucs I use pound shop luggage straps. They are a wide adjustable strap with strong clip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cam buckle straps from the Range are all I use but they also sell ratchet straps as well. Some 3 in 1 oil on the metal parts and they have all lasted 3 / 4 years so far and are in direct sunlight when we get some.

Spansets are very hardy and no moving parts.

KISS

PH

Spanset do a lot more than just the little hive straps, including light, intermediate and heavy ratchet straps of various lengths.

All good quality. We use the little lever straps for the hives (BUT...note that in recent years, apparently in response to beekeeper grumbles, they have made the 'eye' bigger. Now the blue metal part and the strap part company far more easily and unless you are very careful you need a new strap)

Cheap ones are normally made with strapping that is a bit stretchier and can allow more movement of the load........not a good idea going through town with a load of bees.

We use the lightweight ratchet straps (normally red) for light loads on the trucks but prefer the intermediates for loads of hives (those are normally blue).

The big orange ones, for trucks, are so strong you can crush a hive with them.

They WILL sell direct.

Not many truck drivers know how to secure a load properly, curtain sides or flat beds, quite a hefty fine for an insecure load, even bigger fine if it spreads its load over the road.

plastics degrade in sunlight you will need to know whether these clips are up to being outside 24x7x365.

I said plastic but technically it looks more like polythene, I have had these straps outside for a year and they seemed fine today

Have used ratchet straps from wilco last few years. Bit of wd40 on the metal. All weathered well. I think then they were £3 for two. Bought loads at that price.

ITLD?

Check out their site. They sell kit to take thousands of pounds: proper slings.

Whilst I rather like the 500 ton stuff my days of needing that sort of kit are in the past so...

I return to my theme of the Spanset lashing which needs no moving parts.

PH

ITLD?

Check out their site. They sell kit to take thousands of pounds: proper slings.

Whilst I rather like the 500 ton stuff my days of needing that sort of kit are in the past so...

I return to my theme of the Spanset lashing which needs no moving parts.

PH

indeed PH. Their range of stuff is amazing but very little of it relevant to beekeeping.

However....OP specifically asked about ratchet straps...hence I mentioned their three most common sizes.

Get some lay-flat water 'pipe' and cover the exposed straps. Job done for winter strapping. Ratchets under the hive away from direct sunlight, if nothing better. Cheap and effective, plus theg are not on display as a temptation for those with sticky fingers.

Not many truck drivers know how to secure a load properly, curtain sides or flat beds, quite a hefty fine for an insecure load, even bigger fine if it spreads its load over the road.

Are many left that can tie a drivers hitch?

Back