Embedding power source?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Has anyone bought a suitable power source for embedding wires recently?

My much abused 12v battery charger has finally bitten the dust (ie, I left it outside in the rain at some point over the winter), and my replacement Ring unit somehow seems to know it's not connected to car battery, and consequently won't heat the frame wires.

Looking online, they all seem to be intelligent this, and smart that- any tips for a big standard one?

I've looked on the forum, bit the recommended one is no longer sold.

Cheers

My much abused 12v battery charger has finally bitten the dust (ie, I left it outside in the rain at some point over the winter), and my replacement Ring unit somehow seems to know it's not connected to car battery, and consequently won't heat the frame wires.

Looking online, they all seem to be intelligent this, and smart that- any tips for a big standard one?

Cheers
Chop the end off the output cable, strip off some of the outer insulating cable so you can split the wires enough to touch both ends of the frame wire, strip the ends a cm so you can make contacts and this works for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38575519...fZJ6FMX2ANO3oIiJyFhhosod0g==|tkp:BFBM-v-ErdNj

Cheers

You can just use a 12 volt car battery ... Laurence shows you how here:

You can then use your charger to charge the battery up ... it only takes a few seconds for the wire to heat sufficiently to embed it in the wax. Try and avoid touching the two crocodile clips together as the sparks are quite entertaining. With the resistance of the frame wire it's not a problem. Some wires are more resistant than others ..

Where's RAB when you need him ?

Do you know how much current needs to flow through the wires to get them hot enough? This will determine the power output you need.

If you look at radio control hobby stores, they often sell power supplies that are used to power the chargers for model's batteries. The chargers are designed to run off car batteries so charging can be done in the field away from mains.

If you look at radio control hobby stores, they often sell power supplies that are used to power the chargers for model's batteries. The chargers are designed to run off car batteries so charging can be done in the field away from mains.
so you need a car battery charger to charge a lump of a car battery to run a second charger to embed the foundation. Why not just cut out the last two and use a basic car battery charger which costs less than twenty quid and weighs next to nothing?

so you need a car battery charger to charge a lump of a car battery to run a second charger to embed the foundation. Why not just cut out the last two and use a basic car battery charger which costs less than twenty quid and weighs next to nothing?
Not what I said, I think you have confused me explaining why RC hobbyists need a power supply. Either that, or I didn't explain it well!

I was thinking about something like this
https://www.align-trex.co.uk/fusion-100w-13-8v-power-supply-o-fs-ps101.html?gad_source=1

I was unable to find one without a safety cut out. They used to be available.
So now I use a battery.

Latest posts

Back