Power Source for Sublimox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMH

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
What power source do you use for your sublimox?

Im aware its either 230v generator or 12v battery with inverter.

Any body rig up means to connect to the 12v port of a car to avoid having to carry round a battery/generator?

Obvious risk of getting stuck in a field!

Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable generator that isnt ridiculously heavy or noisy.

Also, best place to buy the sublimox?

Seem to have gone up loads in price since I was last looking at them

I use both depending on the situation. Yes, you can run from 12v car battery. You need a minimum 300w inverter.

I bought this 700 watt generator from screw fix. Its not silent but not too bad noise wise.

Abelo sells the sublimox and also stock spare parts for them.. But you are right it has gone up in price.

Thanks for that!

Im guessing the price rise is just the pound/euro slide as its manufactured within the EU.

I think generator is the way to go thinking about it, dont want to be restricted to within Xm of the vehicle.

Any tips on sublimating poly?

Trying to streamline the process and do away with ekes.

Can i just fire at the entrance?

Ah, thats not too big or heavy at all!

Had in mind some humongous building site jobby!

Any tips on sublimating poly?

Trying to streamline the process and do away with ekes.

Can i just fire at the entrance?

You can fire at the entrance. However, I think (and I may be wrong) it's better with the sublimox to vape from the top. I use and eke with a poly cover and a hole for the sublimox nozzle. That way I think you get a more even distribution throughout the frames.
I just slide varroa board in and don't worry about sealing the entrance. All done in 30 seconds...it takes longer for the vape to sink into the hive than to do it.

Poly nucs ... I use Everynucs and they have a cavernous maw ... I cut a block of wood that completely covers the entrance and has a 7mm hole through it through which I poke the Sublimox. A little bit of vapour escapes the sides which I could fix with a foam strip around the block of wood. But haven't.

Sublimating from above works well but I don't have ekes on these nucs and/or prefer not to leave them with a gap over their heads, and prefer not to open them to add the eke just before treatment.

I don't think there's any difference between sublimating* from above or below ... in terms of efficacy or apparent distribution of vapour assessed through a perplex crownboard or just by what leaks out of the cracks.

* Sublimox ... other sublimators may not be equal ;)

Leisure battery and inverter in wheelbarrow
Hives are vaped from the bottom at the back through a hole drilled in the floor above the omf. I darent even mention vaping from the top after Stan fixed twenty floors for me.
Hivemaker warned me that I could fry the queen if she was dangling off the bottom bars so they get a whiff of smoke up through the omf first

Attachments

• 9BE0DEDC-4E05-45CA-86B5-98CA8D166553.jpeg
    9BE0DEDC-4E05-45CA-86B5-98CA8D166553.jpeg
    987.7 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for all the ideas.

Out of interest, how many blasts do you get out the leisure battery?

I do like the idea of a generator though. Means i can use power tools at the top of the garden!

Oh wow!

That's certainly worth a though then.

What size battery was that?

100Ah?

Vaped six of the little suckers Today which took less than 20 mins using a heated pan.. my trick is do not let the pan cool .. un clip from the battery to save power.. and move to the next hive...place the red hot heated pan where you want to deliver it and quickly pop the product in the pan and poke it in the hive quickly and wire the battery back up..
I have little tubs with a rough amount i want to deliver so it is a case of in and out and back in again and so on till i am finished..

I think most affordable generators are modified sine wave, are these compatible with the electrics on the sublimox, that could be an expensive lesson.

Has anyone tried a gas powered vaporiser ?? Given the cost of the electric gadgets this looks interesting. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163189225974 . I know there are also low cost electric battery operated ones and the same with mains power, but for shear portability this could be worth a look. Yes I know its made in Ukraine, they have a lot of bees too.

Has anyone tried a gas powered vaporiser ?? Given the cost of the electric gadgets this looks interesting. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163189225974 . I know there are also low cost electric battery operated ones and the same with mains power, but for shear portability this could be worth a look. Yes I know its made in Ukraine, they have a lot of bees too.

I own and use a Sublimox, a Varrox and one of these Varomoor vaporizer devices

The Varomoor is the easiest to use , but does require a certain amount of intelligence to use.. in mixing the correct strength of OA to be delivered in 98% pure ethanol... that can be expensive ( Best Vodka is only 45%)
Rubbing alcohol could be used as the carrier.
The manufacturer also give recipes for OA / Thymol mixes.

Yeghes da

Steady on Millet - this is supposed to be a family friendly forum :rules:

It is totally safe doing it like that John...all you need to do is be quick and apply a little common sense...;)

Edited .. to add i have just realized what you meant ...
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Last edited:
I think most affordable generators are modified sine wave, are these compatible with the electrics on the sublimox, that could be an expensive lesson.

The cheapo Impax 700W one from Screwfix works just fine

20150925-80-28.jpg

Latest posts

Back