Quick questions quick answers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dare I say that someone on here who has the time to sit and read for 24/7 instead of beekeeping will produce peer reviewed tomes to the contrary!

:ot: NO quick answer there ... needs a whole new threat methinks!!
Chons da

My ... there's a Freudian slip if ever I saw one ... another beekeeping conundrum that will invoke those for and those against ad infinitum!

And this a thread for quick questions and quick answers !

So far in domestic applicaitons, I have been taken aback at times by the expansion of the Gorilla glue. It takes a good hold mind but...

PH

My ... there's a Freudian slip if ever I saw one ... another beekeeping conundrum that will invoke those for and those against ad infinitum!

And this a thread for quick questions and quick answers !

Quick answer.... I can not spell.. Dyslixick!:calmdown:

Anyone ever invented a metal disc that you attach to a queen and then you can search for her by running a metal detector over the frames when you REALLY need to find her?

Anyone!??
might find the frame nails give you false positives?

I know that the small cell theory

What was/is the small cell theory as it relates to varroa control?
Is their any rational thought to it?
From the little I've read it's a lot of tosh and assumptions with no scientific basis.

Thanks , confirms what little I know...all tosh no rational basis.

might find the frame nails give you false positives?
Ah of course!

In my mind I have the idea of some sort of magnet that was so powerful it would attract the queen but then realised it would just kill her! ;)

Then progressed to a metal detector.

I'll just get better at marking them I guess :(

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

That would be my first worry, the second one with Paynes roofs is that there is a gap. albeit a small one, between the underside of the roof and the top of the hive.. I frequently find spiders, earwigs and woodlouse under the roof .. without a crown board there is the issue of these critters getting in to the hive but more importantly it means that heat will escape .. with the mesh floor and an opening at the top of the hive you have a chimney. Not good.

Running Paynes poly for many years now without CB. Never had any brace comb built between the top frames and roof. Bees make sure there are no gaps on top (propolis) so heat scape chimney effect isn’t happening.

Re smoker gunk - it appears I can clean the gunk off too well - gave mine a good decoking this summer and it burnt fuel too quickly. Now the lid has had chance to coke up again, it works fine! I do make sure the spout is clear - a pencil does the job when nothing else is too hand!

#37 - Hi EricA, I had a look at Dave Cushman's site and he illustrates that the bottom of the cell seems to retain layers of cocoon but not the sides. Would that not result in bees being proportionately smaller owing to the length of cell available for growth? I would have thought that developing bees would retain a width to length ratio....

Does anyone use thoracic number discs on virgin queens prior to open mating???

Does it make any difference to numbers returning mated.....................
or lost to Sammy Swallow or Ol' Jo Crow??

Cheers
Yeghes da

I seem to remember B+ saying he did this as it was the only way to ensure the queen that returns is the queen that emerged.

Maybe he can confirm as I'm not 100%.

I mark virgins before they mate all the time but not with discs

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back