Quick questions quick answers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No.
I want to track the queen through it's entire life. The only way to do that is mark her as soon as she emerges from her cell

Anyone ever invented a metal disc that you attach to a queen and then you can search for her by running a metal detector over the frames when you REALLY need to find her?

Anyone!??

Anyone ever invented a metal disc that you attach to a queen and then you can search for her by running a metal detector over the frames when you REALLY need to find her?

Anyone!??

There are some but I don't use them. Expensive for what they are, I thought. Besides, I only want the disk for identification. If I need to pick her up, I'll pick her up with my fingers (I wear blue nitrile gloves so I still have the sensitivity in my fingers)

Anyone!??
One was on sale with Thornes (I think) a few years ago. Didn't use a detector but a magnet, I don't think it caught on! I dont spend much time looking for queens in my hives, just content to see lots of eggs and brood which reassures me all is well.
S

QUICK QUESTIONS QUICK ANSWERS

Title says it all.
A place for ANY beekeeper new or old to place a quick question asking for a quick answer...
:welcome:

Something similar to the beginners section?

... no sarcky comments please

Given the latest threat to free speech;
Once things are escalated and the authorities get involved it makes keeping the forum running an issue.
Mark
ADMIN .

Perhaps we could add a PC section for the pacifist litigants?

Lots of views on clear perspex cover-boards.
I use https://www.screwfix.com/p/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-plastic-sheeting-clear-1000ga-4-x-15m/2665p which can be cut to size for hives or nucs (I hate the coverboards that came with my Paynes nucs). The bees will propolise the edges down in winter but it still does the job and can be lifted in Spring. It doesn't crush bees which, I think, was the main problem with perspex. I find it far too time-consuming getting it back in position before putting the lid on.

how many times can you reuse the cut squares you make with this ?

how many times can you reuse the cut squares you make with this ?

Well, this is uv stabilized and certified for building use so about as long as you'd expect a building to last. I've used mine for a couple of years with no trouble. A roll will go a long way and is useful for all sorts of jobs.
I used to use a thinner grade that was half the price. That didn't last as long but still lasted a couple of years

Last edited:
What smoker fuel doesn't fill the smoker with black gunk that carboard does.

I'm want to make a change after spending a few hours scrapping it off.
Rotthen wood, hardwood shavings, cotton waste

Anyone!??
Yes - with a magnetic pen so she can be picked up

Wood shavings for the smoker. One bag last for 1-2 seasons. Cheap and clean.

Never used the Paynes poly crown boards. Don’t like them. No crown board used on my poly hives.

No crown board used on my poly hives.

Thought of running a poly like this but worried about brace comb being built between top bars and roof causing the frames to get lifted when the roof comes off. Have you had this happen? Genuine question - not a critisism.

No crown board used on my poly hives.

Thought of running a poly like this but worried about brace comb being built between top bars and roof causing the frames to get lifted when the roof comes off. Have you had this happen? Genuine question - not a critisism.

That would be my first worry, the second one with Paynes roofs is that there is a gap. albeit a small one, between the underside of the roof and the top of the hive.. I frequently find spiders, earwigs and woodlouse under the roof .. without a crown board there is the issue of these critters getting in to the hive but more importantly it means that heat will escape .. with the mesh floor and an opening at the top of the hive you have a chimney. Not good.

Re poly: Yes you need a CB I have always used one over the last ..cough... 25 years+ of using poly.

Question. is there proof that over time worker cells get smaller due to the cocoons or as that another legend?

PH

Question. is there proof that over time worker cells get smaller due to the cocoons or as that another legend?

PH

Yes there are a couple of papers that measure the decrease in cell size and decrease in bee size. What practical affect this has is unknown.
If you want the papers I'll have to dig out the references.

I know that the small cell theory caused havoc in the states with it becoming virtually a cult. People bought into small cell foundation went treatment free and lost a lot of money as a result.

So there are (as ever) two papers on this one for and one against. I wonder where they came from.... ?

PH

I know that the small cell theory caused havoc in the states with it becoming virtually a cult. People bought into small cell foundation went treatment free and lost a lot of money as a result.

So there are (as ever) two papers on this one for and one against. I wonder where they came from.... ?

PH

Hopefully Beefriendly can come up with his references so that we can have a read and then toss a coin :)

Of course I can....research does suggest that cell and bees get smaller with time.
Here's 2 papers that find similar conclusions. Both can be freely downloaded. Not much to doubt unless you believe scientists can't measure or weigh accuratley

Delaplane findings show reduced inner diameter 4.9 in new vs 4.6 mm in old and smaller bees 106mg in new vs 98mg in old.

Effects of comb age on honey bee colony growth and brood survivorship
JENNIFER A BERRY;KEITH S DELAPLANE
Journal of Apicultural Research 40(1): (2001)

Effects of Comb Wax Age on the Brood and Honey Product Performance in Honey Bee
Abolfazl Asadi Dizaji, H. Moeini Alishah, Abdol-Ahad Shadde
Asian Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances
Volume 3 (1): 51-53, 2008

Last edited:

PH

Then there is the long and thin bee theory... due to the comb becoming elongated.... although I have not seen a paper written on it... as yet.

Dare I say that someone on here who has the time to sit and read for 24/7 instead of beekeeping will produce peer reviewed tomes to the contrary!

:ot: NO quick answer there ... needs a whole new threat methinks!!
Chons da

Thanks.... is there any problems in using the discs prior to open mating any more than marking with the uniposca.
Will give the super glue a miss!

I have used the one handed Q catcher and applied numbered discs, I use a cut off cocktail stick with a tiny dab of honey on it to hold the disc and then use a gel superglue, much easier/safer to dispense, while I'll admit there's a risk with using super glue I've not had any issues with the Gorilla Gel type over dispensing so far.

Latest posts

Back