Question re Propolis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldwgs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi

sorry if its a daft question, but I have used a propolis mesh for the 1st time, its been in the freezer for a few days and is still sticky. does anyone know the temperature propolis freezes at?

The propolis will become brittle in normal winter weather, which makes it easier to remove. I cannot see a reason why it shouldn't break away easily from the mesh after being in the freezer.
Sorry I can't resist, is your freezer plugged in.:sorry:

The propolis will become brittle in normal winter weather, which makes it easier to remove. I cannot see a reason why it shouldn't break away easily from the mesh after being in the freezer.
Sorry I can't resist, is your freezer plugged in.:sorry:
that made me laugh, thanks, needed a giggle, no need to be sorry, yes both freezers, its been in, are plugged and turn down down to minus 20

The only thing I can suggest now would be to place the mesh on the sidewall of the freezer and leave for a few days. If that doesn't work then I'm at a loss, it should be brittle enough to release. If the mesh is the Thornes one, all you need to do is scrunch it up and it should fall out.

Just been looking through old magazines and came across an article saying -15C.

I imagine it varies between propolis batches, as they are made from different mixes of tree resins, but consider it a ball park figure.

Just been looking through old magazines and came across an article saying -15C.

I imagine it varies between propolis batches, as they are made from different mixes of tree resins, but consider it a ball park figure.
OP says it’s in -20c…

Yeah, implying there is something unexpected going on, I guess s/he will jave to clean the mesh amd retry. Not a happy, neat solution but sometimes things just don't work for unknown reasons. Hope the freezer is not too sticky.

Yeah, implying there is something unexpected going on, I guess s/he will jave to clean the mesh amd retry. Not a happy, neat solution but sometimes things just don't work for unknown reasons. Hope the freezer is not too sticky.
Probably a mixture of wax and propolis... if it's a large area and they can't find enough tree resin and its something they want to block up .... they will improvise and wax is easier for them than propolis. Where did you have the screen sited in the hive and what was above it?

This is a little off topic but there's a great Marla Spivak video about propolis which deserves to be easily searchable on the forum, it was added to another recent thread that has now, after becoming quite nasty, been moved to some kind of alternative reality.

The original share was by @BaconWizard.

I understand the benefits of propolis but some colonies just produce so much. Yesterday, whilst inspecting one of mine, there was so much propolis that, after a couple of minutes, my (nitrile gloved) fingers stuck together, bees stuck my fingers and I could hardly get the frames out.

One observation made in the Marla Spivak video/talk was that the bees do not coat the smooth interiors of the hives. That is also what I have found. Could this be that there is no need, as there are no crevices to hold pathogens, as there would be in a tree or hive made from rough-sawn timber?

I understand the benefits of propolis but some colonies just produce so much. Yesterday, whilst inspecting one of mine, there was so much propolis that, after a couple of minutes, my (nitrile gloved) fingers stuck together, bees stuck my fingers and I could hardly get the frames out.

One observation made in the Marla Spivak video/talk was that the bees do not coat the smooth interiors of the hives. That is also what I have found. Could this be that there is no need, as there are no crevices to hold pathogens, as there would be in a tree or hive made from rough-sawn timber?

I guess it could well be that this is what drives their instincts: rough (which all tree interiors would be, naturally) requiring propolis to a bee, while other things don't. But, as the initial study suggested, they actually DO need it in a modern hive (smooth or otherwise) for the antiviral properties against the increased viral load they face in modern times (I feel like this study was fascinating and very suggestive, but too small a sample-size and needs to be repeated on a larger scale and longer time to be fully proven)

Assuming what we think we now know about propolis is true, you high-lite the very problem: it's necessary for bees, perhaps now more than ever, but a serious pain in the bum for keepers.

I was particularly interested in the experiment where they sprayed the hive with propolis in advance.
A question was asked at the end, and I don't think she understood the question's intent and so her answer was lacking: Should we really be spraying the interior of our hives with resin before putting bees into it?

She thought (paraphrasing) it's beneficial but also nonsensical to collect propolis from bees in order to give it to bees.

Well, that's true. I could argue that Brazilian Stingless Bees produce a TONNE of propolis which is their main harvest rather than honey, and perhaps this could be used. But the health-supplements market has made the prices so high that it's not viable for mere mortals even it the propolis has similar properties.

But they also thought that no chemical alteration is made to the collected resin (other than mixed with wax for easier working), and we have plentiful and easy sources of resin other than propolis.

The study showed that THEIR bees preferred resin from poplar buds, but that might be for reasons of convenience of collection rather than the composition of the resin itself being ideal. I have read other articles that say the same but they didn't cite their sources. Perhaps poplar buds is the only source they recognize or can deal-with. I don't think we know.

So I would like to see a test done where resin is collected from one of the species of pine that they identified as having good antiviral properties and then sprayed to make an envelope for the bees in advance, just as Marla Spivak did with propolis.
We can collect pine resin easily and cheaply and already do-so on an industrial level. The questions would be, does it have the same antiviral effect as propolis in reality as well as the lab, and does it have any toxic effect on the bees vs the stuff they collect for themselves?

IF that worked, then bees that are disinclined to propolize the hive heavily could still benefit from its properties; there could be a product that is basically pine or similar resin in alcohol solution in a spray bottle for treating the inside of a brood-box or super before using it, with instructions to allow the alcohol to evaporate for 48 hrs or whatnot.

You get a workable hive, and healthier bees.

This would mean we can char the insides after use, too, and just re-apply the spray.

I would love to do this experiment myself, but my first hive will be in swarm-season next year and I will not be experimenting with anything at-all until I have more experience and more bugs, nor would a sample-size of 1 be useful information.

Last edited:

I can tell you that my bees do propolize the rough sawn timber of a long deep hive I made; they did not however propolize the smooth thin ply inner of another homemade long deep hive.

A few of the brood boxes I've made were from rough timber, not planed. I'll try to take a closer look later in the week but don't recall them having propolised the sides.

After a suggestion from Pargyle, I put any propolis scrapings into a jar of alcohol and shake it whenever I am in the bee shed. Makes a varnish which I then paint on inside of hives. My bees are not particularly sticky but I do not run out of varnish.

Back