Queenless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff4051

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 plus 3 communities
Inspected hives today main hive Queenless, no brood no eggs hardly any bees plenty of honey. Before any one says there could be a queen hiding there has been nothing there for approx. 6 weeks, had experienced Beeks with me as well. What to do, I believe its too late to buy a mated queen the hive is too depleated, combine with other hive I believe is the only option. Any help would be appreciated.

had experienced Beeks with me as well.*

But they were not very helpful!

First check for a queen before attempting to unite. There may be one there,hiding.

This is what you should have done five weeks ago.

Bee inspector checked hive 5-6 weeks ago there was a very large capped Q cell there which we transplanted there previous, he stated because of the colour it was nearly ready to hatch or it was dead. Checked it 3 weeks ago Q cell empty, checked again today nothing, will leave it another week then maybe combine. Hive one full of honey, hive 2 new queen from split going well but not much stores.

6 weeks ago there is a queen cell which may be dead. Not surprising the cell was empty three weeks later. Probably part torn down. Tell us more - had the queen cell been opened from the side or the tip?

I will repeat, check for a queen before uniting. The normal check is easy to do. Otherwise you will be risking having your good colony spoiled.

6 weeks ago there is a queen cell which may be dead. Not surprising the cell was empty three weeks later. Probably part torn down. Tell us more - had the queen cell been opened from the side or the tip?

I will repeat, check for a queen before uniting. The normal check is easy to do. Otherwise you will be risking having your good colony spoiled.:iagree::iagree:

The Q cell was split in various places top, side, we were hoping it had emerged. We did a thougher inspection for the queen, it was easy due to the lack of bees. They were so quiet. There was a half hearted attempt to make a Q cell, we believe the bees were making it just in case they can get a Queen. Do you think its to late in the year to buy a Queen if we could get one???????????

A queen cell that is ragged and split has been torn down.
A queen cell from which a queen has emerged looks like this

There was a half hearted attempt to make a Q cell, we believe the bees were making it just in case they can get a Queen. ?

Eh? Maybe a little more time spent at the books, or maybe a course this winter might be in order.

Do you think its to late in the year to buy a Queen if we could get one???????????
Not too late to buy a queen - but in this colony's case I think it's too late for them - most sensible thing to do would be to shake them out in front of the other hives and mark it down to experience (or not as the case may be)

The Q cell was split in various places top, side, we were hoping it had emerged. We did a thougher inspection for the queen, it was easy due to the lack of bees. They were so quiet. There was a half hearted attempt to make a Q cell, we believe the bees were making it just in case they can get a Queen. Do you think its to late in the year to buy a Queen if we could get one???????????

If you spotted a half hearted queen cell in the hive then to me it would suggest all is not well and could be from a laying worker.

You need to try a test frame from your other hive this may give you an indication of Q+ or Q- but if the hive has started with laying workers they may give you a Q+ indication. Better advice would have been the test frame a few weeks ago especially as the original QC was known to be a bit dodgy.

Whatever you do, do it fast. The only thing of value left in the hive is the honey and that won't be defended much longer in a dwindling colony.
Personally I'd just shake the bees out and let them find their way into the other hive.

Yes too late now, Wont combine at moment will wait and see what happens. At least the second hive will have plenty of stores. I shall put this down to experience.

Back