Queenless swarm what to do

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywards

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my colonies swarmed on Wednesday 19th August. It was the split with the old Q from 7 July. My fault, I presumed supersedure with 3 Q cells, not thinking they would want to swarm again.
I got the swarm back from my cherry tree, hived it with 2 drawn frames and foundation and been feeding 1:1. Checked today, 11 days on, expecting the old Q to be laying. Alas, no sign of eggs or brood or Q, though she has always been elusive.
Before I collected the swarm I got into the old colony and knocked down to one Q cell. They had swarmed on the day the Q cells were due to emerge. I had to go in again after 4 days to check for new Q cells and there were none and the virgin had emerged. I must presume she is mature and now mating and will not inspect again until 12 Sept - 3 weeks from emerging.
I have had a poor season here in cold, wet and drone-starved Derbyshire loosing a mature Q (don't know how or why) and 2 virgins from splits. What is my best option for this Queen-less swarm?
1) Buy a new laying queen and if so where from?
2) Add frame of eggs and brood from my only strong colony?
3) Merge with the strong hive which is the original split?
4) Wait another week and check again?

2) And see what happens. Then decide. You can always return the brood to the donor colony later. (subjec to disease concerns as always). t

Thanks H,
added frame with eggs yesterday.

Hivemaker

Then you can consider re uniting with the swarmed hive if your new queen doesn't come up to scratch

Back