Queen introduction, 2 birds with 1 stone...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Trying to save 2 hives that are both well populated (mostly pensioners I guess) they were found half full of drone brood, not that many hatched out Drones though.
The brood pattern in hive A was pretty uniform and had a very small amount of random capped worker brood, but no eggs so my guess is DLQ gone AWOL. Hive B definitely had eggs in patches so taken as laying worker.
So last week I sieved each colony through a queen excluder. No sign of a queen in either. Hive A was sieved into a brood box with some capped stores and no brood. Hive B was sieved into a super with some capped stores.
A queen was ordered last week and is due tomorrow.
On Saturday I checked through both colonies and there is no sign of eggs. They are working through the stores nicely. Same again today, no eggs.
Today I added a frame of eggs and brood to hive A and will add in the Q tomorrow in her cage adjacent to this. I am expecting queen cells but can knock these down in a few days when I pull the plug on the queen cage.
Second stage of the plan is to unite using newspaper Hive B which is in the super. Is this a good idea or should I feel pleased if getting Hive A back on track?

Any other pointers, ideas, (reasoned) criticism is most welcome!

I find adding the queen and leaving her for 3 to 5 days in her cage first, then remove the tab for tvan eyes to release her and sucess is usually very good. I do remove all attendant bees from the cage first though but you have to be very carefully the new queen doesn't try and fly off as she will when she sees a open gap - she will likely be a new queen and whilst mated a small one so she will fly well.

Also one more thing, the slider top queen cages are fiddly and a pain really, as on opening the sliding lid you can catch the queens legs and so on in between it and the cage. Be carefully you don't hurt her.

I'd not join both hives together now as they will both be stressed for some time. Pick one hive, add the queen and when she's settled join the other hive by the paper method.

However you do it, will you come back to this thread and let us know how you got on please and which way you did it. Thank you

Off to anyone else to suggest another way. :)

I do remove all attendant bees from the cage first though
I never bother and have never had any problems. same was said by Glyn Davies at the convention. Unless you have an imported queen when you have to - why faff around with the queen.

Simple precaution. Remove attendants near a well lit window. Escapees will fly towards the light.

Thanks for the input. I guess what I am doing is along the right lines? She is a Cypriot import so I will need to remove the attendants. Thanks for the light tip.
What do I do with the attendants?

Thanks for the input. I guess what I am doing is along the right lines? She is a Cypriot import so I will need to remove the attendants. Thanks for the light tip.
What do I do with the attendants?

Check on beebase - they have to go with the cage to the NBU I believe

Your confidence, of no queens being present, worries me. But your new queen and your risk.

You are expecting queen cells, but what if there are none? Panic?

Runt queens can traverse a Q/E. Guessig is a dangerous game where beekeeping is concerned. But your new queen.

Your assumption that no eggs means no queen is an assumption

Then there is the vision of uniting with another 'colony' without certainty of there being no queen. But your new queen.

So overall, I'm not particularly impressed with the plan. But your queen. You may get away with it. On the other hand ... you might be back here asking what could possibly have gone wrong. If it does, you now dont need to come back asking. Just re-read this post.

No problem I am aware of the risk. It is a long shot, which has the potential to work with no problem or it could go tits up. Would rather do this than shake them out and trouble my other 2 hives which are going great guns.
It's costing me 30 quid but beekeeping is my hobby and hobbies sometimes cost money, so fingers crossed. Watch this space!

Update, for those interested. It seems to have worked a treat. Inspected today and Q is in there with 3 frames of BIAS.

Latest posts

Back