Queen identification

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shabro

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I recently bought what was supposed to be an AMM queen from P**nes, which I put in a nuc box with some brood and shook a load of bees in.. On inspection for the first time today I found her but there isnt a bit of black on her anywhere, she actually looks like a carniolan which I definately dont want.
Does this mean she definately isnt AMM or should I wait for her first brood to hatch?
If she is what I suspect then I'm afraid I'll be not using their services again, I'm annoyed that she isn't marked either.:willy_nilly:

Last edited:
did you ask for her to be marked as some suppliers charge for it

You could have received the wrong order and if that is the case you need to contact the supplier to sort it out

You could have received the wrong order and if that is the case you need to contact the supplier to sort it out THEN GIVE THE BEAUTY TO ME :icon_204-2:

Only way is to carry out wing morphometry on the off spring.. PM me and we can do that.... DNA analysis is only definitive way... any one got a spare £250K and I will set a lab up !!!

SOME of our Amm queens start out a bit stripey... in their genes!!

Sounds wrong there as P....s do sell queens marked. Give them a bell- they are usually helpful and accommodating.. I will also ask them tomorrow as they will be at bee market/auction at Heathfield. Know them fairly well.

I have already spoken to Roger by email, and hopefully we can resolve it.
I understand that some can be a bit stripey but her abdomen is glowing ginger and her thorax isnt much different.

You could have received the wrong order and if that is the case you need to contact the supplier to sort it out THEN GIVE THE BEAUTY TO ME :icon_204-2:
You're just hoping mine are going to swarm into your hives :p especially the one thats getting a 3rd super tomorrow.

And colour isn't the best indicator of whether she is AMM. Let us know how you get on.

Just as an update, Roger offered to swap HM, which was decent, however another local beek has taken her and I have ordered another from an AMM supplier I have used previously.

As a precaution I had a second opinion on her and they were in agreement.

I would be too, if I was looking for a spare queen ;

I WONDER IFF IT WAS REALLY GINGER.... SHAB COULD BE COLOUR BLIND:icon_204-2:

If a beekeeper is experienced, it is easy to distinquish Carniolan and AMM.

I do not know modern color variations but AMM has brownish hairs.
Its hind legs are very stong and thorax too.
Carniolan has black grey coloration with grey hairs.
Body shape is quite same as Italian's.

Could someone give me a brief summary of the pros and cons Carniolan and AMM? If one needs a new queen and these two are the same price - what are the factors to consider in making the choice?

Carnies - good honey producers
- need more stores to survive winter
- swarmy

AMM - not quite as good producers
- need less stores for winter
- more likely to overwinter well

Carnies - good honey producers
- need more stores to survive winter
- swarmy

AMM - not quite as good producers
- need less stores for winter
- more likely to overwinter wel