Queen cell question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Queen cell looks like the end is open and the side has been chewed away. Was fully sealed 3 days ago so I removed the queen into a nuc split.
Thought maybe I have missed a queen cell which has hatched and done its job on the one pictured or have the workers torn it down?

But then I found another queen cell which is sealed.

Thoughts on what to do next?
Knock down the sealed cell followed by test frame of eggs?

Attachments

• DSC_0514~2~2.jpg
    DSC_0514~2~2.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0513~3~2.jpg
    DSC_0513~3~2.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 41
why remove a cell only to put a test frame in ?? just give them time

similar happened to mine, removed queen, and all cells barring one, only for them to swarm twice, and the cell I left is still intact and due to hatch tomorrow

I was thinking along the line of the queen cell was open at the side which seems to point towards a virgin being killed in the cell. But what confused me was the small new fully sealed queen cell.
Ive left it for now so will wait and see.

Thanks

test frame would be inconclusive as they would build cells anyway in swarming mode. probably a virgin present. I would remove cell but could result in being queenless. in which case you cold unite old queen after a period of queenlessness in colony with cells

Last edited:
Thanks Snelgrove. That was sort of my thoughts but possibly not expressed so clearly.
I'll try and get that queen cell broken down tomorrow but the weather is not looking good.

Or I could do a 3 frame split with the sealed QC as further insurance.

Latest posts

Back