Queen cage - varroa management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lecture that Buchler gave to Somerset last week is the same one he gave at the National Honey Show in 2019. That is available on U-Tube and is the third of four lectures he gave that year.
The advantage of using the queen trapping method in July is that you then have a certain brood break to use oxalic acid on bees that are about to be replaced with the next winter bees. With global warming, colonies are more likely to continue limited brood rearing through the winter making it trickier to time OA treatment.

Yes, I know, sorry, I wasn't talking about winter OA. What I meant was, why not do 3/4 OA vapes in July/Aug, rather than queen caging at that time? That way varroa is vastly reduced just before winter bees are starting to be prepared, but without the queen having to be caged? Honey production I assume....

Last edited:
N
The one that uses the Mozzato cage is best done in late July. No brood is sacrificed.
If it is the case that all the phoretic varroa damage the adult bees, whilst the colony is broodless, it seems that it does not matter, because the rationale of the method concentrates on the production of healthy winter bees.
So with frame caging the colony sacrifices 3x frames of brood whereas with queen caging it's just the same amount of adult bees that are sacrificed (by being excessively parasitized). But that doesn't matter because it's the end of the season?!

Plainly not a practical method for us as it falls right in heather migration and would involved an OA treatment too at our busiest time while the honey was (hopefully) coming in...and a lot of our bees will not then raise enough winter brood in the hostile environment we operate in.

However...one thing jumps out at me and I don't see any poster addressing it. i DID however parse the thread so may have missed it.

The brood break is one full worker brood cycle............but what about the drone brood? That has way more varroa in it on average than worker..so the break should surely be a month unless they have either 1. Perfect combs, or 2. Doing a drone brood cull at the same time.

Given that this system will appeal especially to those of a more non chemical based inclination apart from acids.....which will thus include those who like to go foundationless and use 'natural' comb' which has a far larger proportion of drone in it than we normally aim for, this must be a factor to be considered.

Do they regard one week of emergence from the last of the drone brood as an acceptable baseline to be jumping off from? Could be quite a lot in a natural comb situation.

Sure
I’m just keen beginners don’t think this is the magic answer when there are effective ways to manage varroa already that are much simpler and involve less fiddling.
When I was in Practice I was a keen practitioner of “just because we can do something doesn’t mean we should”
Reading many other threads in the forum it gives an impression of many non critical/logical thinking members who pick up smatterings of ideas, subconsciously select small bits that they incorporate into their own methods with results ranging from good through neutral to downright disastrous. I'm with you on this Dani. 🤔

Tried frame trapping described in the lecture last year on 3 colonies. Started first week in July (because that's what Ralph does). First new nurse bees emerging late August so this was the look of the brood box before and after.

View attachment 24310

It works and the presence of brood throughout means the varroa are not causing excess damage to the bees (is my hope?) compared to caging the queen and not letting her continue to lay.
You melt down 3 good looking frames of larva per colony.
Moving the queen from one frame to the next is more risky and I killed my best older queen through my ham-fistedness.
Varroa levels were very low thereafter but I did an OA dribble treatment in December which produced a drop of 200ish. So I think you still need to treat at least once a year.
. . . . . Ben
Thanks useful to see. I will try the caging the Q in a colony this year & will post how I got on afterwards!
Elaine

You are right about Buchler (though the OP did talk about possibly then using a trap frame then destroying it).

Let us know how it goes please. Genuinely interested. It would be interesting to compare it with leaving the queen alone and just using, say, Apivar, or whatever, if you can do both in the same apiary.

Though still not 100% sure why, given that Buchler recommends using an OA vape after the caging, why it isn't easier and kinder (and just as effective?) to just do 3 or 4 OA vapes and leave the queen to do what comes naturally.
Because he believes it's best to reduce the amount of chemicals used. An option to doing a one time OA vapour to kill the phoretic mites at the end of the process is to add a comb of open brood at the end just as you release the queen. Then sacrifice that one comb at the end.
Only way of finding these things out, is to try and share results. He's tried it in a scientific way on 300 colonies and the evidence he produced showed no honey loss, as he timed it just before the flow starts so all the foragers are in the colony. Plus he then monitored the colonies progress to the following Spring & showed a colony as strong as the control colonies.
The whole process takes just 30 mins - add a comb with the cage, pop the queen in & release her after 21 days. The video on my original post 1 shows this.

N

So with frame caging the colony sacrifices 3x frames of brood whereas with queen caging it's just the same amount of adult bees that are sacrificed (by being excessively parasitized). But that doesn't matter because it's the end of the season?!
No bees are sacrificed as the queen is caged, she goes off lay for 21 days. Nurse bees live longer as they are not feeding brood, so don't progress to foragers and like 'winter' bees are in good condition with plump hypopharyngeal glands to feed new brood, when the queen is released. To understand furtherwatch this video from the National Honey Show, it explains it all

Last edited:
Plainly not a practical method for us as it falls right in heather migration and would involved an OA treatment too at our busiest time while the honey was (hopefully) coming in...and a lot of our bees will not then raise enough winter brood in the hostile environment we operate in.

However...one thing jumps out at me and I don't see any poster addressing it. i DID however parse the thread so may have missed it.

The brood break is one full worker brood cycle............but what about the drone brood? That has way more varroa in it on average than worker..so the break should surely be a month unless they have either 1. Perfect combs, or 2. Doing a drone brood cull at the same time.

Given that this system will appeal especially to those of a more non chemical based inclination apart from acids.....which will thus include those who like to go foundationless and use 'natural' comb' which has a far larger proportion of drone in it than we normally aim for, this must be a factor to be considered.

Do they regard one week of emergence from the last of the drone brood as an acceptable baseline to be jumping off from? Could be quite a lot in a natural comb situation.
He did cover that, by beginning Aug the drone brood is reducing significantly. You can either extend the timings or as you say target drone brood with a drone comb / super with drone comb beneath. Here's a pdf explaining further & gives options for drone brood (from the company supplying the queen cages).

https://www.apimobru.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Instructions-Var-control-Cage-ENG2018.pdf

Thanks useful to see. I will try the caging the Q in a colony this year & will post how I got on afterwards!
Elaine
If you go for the option to add a frame of open brood from another colony at the end, avoiding any use of chemicals, you'd have to manage the state of the donor frame to avoid emerging brood. ?

Might try the queen trapping myself this year. Less risky. Less queen handling.

. . . . . Ben

(sorry I headed off into a different technique. mansplaining!)

If you go for the option to add a frame of open brood from another colony at the end, avoiding any use of chemicals, you'd have to manage the state of the donor frame to avoid emerging brood. ?

. . . . . Ben

Yes you'd need a frame freshly laid, I'd probably put a empty old drawn sterilised comb into a 'donor hive' a few days before to make sure of this

. . . . . Ben

Have a look at the video on my post 1, your can buy a specific queen tool so you don't need to handle her. You can either buy direct from the Italian company (but min order for cages is 6 plus cE12 postage) or you can buy just one cage (at a higher) price via Donegal bees

As I said earlier brood breaks work but is it worth all the faff when other good alternatives are available. Also I wouldn’t go down the brood destruction route. If you are using a winter oxalic none should be considering it early season as there is no point what so ever.
Takes 30mins to do with a queen cage. Only need to go into the colony at the beginning and end of the 21 days, minimal intervention. He recommended timing it with late summer flows not in May.

No bees are sacrificed as the queen is caged, she goes off lay for 21 days. Nurse bees live longer as they are not feeding brood, so don't progress to foragers and like 'winter' bees are in good condition with plump hypopharyngeal glands to feed new brood, when the queen is released.
The nurse bees do live longer when not taking care of brood. But with the caging method, these same nurse bees are being excessively parasitized by varroa with nowhere else to go.

This worried me. When you release the queen the youngest 'nurse' bees would be getting 'old'. ? They do pick up again so something must be happening.

btw. This looks miraculous. I have about 5 different queen catching devices. So I have to get this one. :)

Nurse bees live longer as they are not feeding brood

Yes, lots of research on this. E.g here

"Reduced brood-rearing (No Brood) resulted in delayed foraging onset. [...]
Thereafter, we determined the lifespan of the same 1708 workers. We found that the No Brood treatment significantly increased worker lifespan"

Last edited:
Yes, lots of research on this. E.g here
"Reduced brood-rearing (No Brood) resulted in delayed foraging onset."
I'm not disputing the fact that they don't age as quickly, but the statement that they don't progress to foragers I find pretty far fetched, what do they do if there's no brood? sit around knitting or playing cribbage until the queen starts laying again?

I'm not disputing the fact that they don't age as quickly, but the statement that they don't progress to foragers I find pretty far fetched, what do they do if there's no brood? sit around knitting or playing cribbage until the queen starts laying again?
Our posts crossed. I'd just edited mine to clarify the longevity when I saw your reply

The nurse bees do live longer when not taking care of brood. But with the caging method, these same nurse bees are being excessively parasitized by varroa with nowhere else to go.
It's the same as a natural brood break some colonies go through when there's a flow on. You're right the varroa will move out of brood as it emerges onto phoretic bees & some will be groomed. Then treat once with oxalic sublimation at the end of the 21 days capture remaining phoretic mites via a comb with open brood at the end.
That's why Ralph Bulcher then continued assessing the colony development through to the Spring. His research results clearly showed no impact on the strength or health of colonies in the Spring, actually better than the control colonies with further chemical (organic acid treatments).
Enough evidence for me to give it a try later this season.

Back