quantifying 1 gram of Oxalic acid crystals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The issue I have with Vaping is that the bowl of my vapouriser will only take 2.5gm of material if it's packed down. In doing the packing down, crystals get spilled and I probably end up with nearer 2 gms actually vaped.

I thought I'd try to make a tablet press, to make a 2.5gm tablet of OA, out of hardwood (no access to metalworking tools) and it worked quite well except the tablets tend to end up a bit frayed at the edges so I still have problems getting the full dose in the pan - crystals falling off the edges. The process is, I weigh the crystals into a small plastic pill box (I have six of these) and pour the contents of each box into the tablet maker. When finished, I return the tablet to the box for transport to the hive. By the time it's been in my pocket getting to the hive, the tablet has started to fray.

Does anybody know of an inert additive that could be used to bind the crystals better in the tablet press that remains inert up to say 250°C? The problem I can foresee with this approach is the same problem as with Apibioxal - the OA is not longer pure and the additive could make the pan sticky/dirty, but sensible thoughts would be welcome.
CVB

You try try a small amount of water - any other binders like molasses will just leave crud in the pan.

I've read this thread with a little mirth at times. OP could have weighed 8g and cut it into two halves and then again until ~1g heaps. Job done, just like the drug pushers used to do before accurate and chep weighing scales were available (or nicked from school labs!).

Delivery methods are often rough and ready; colonies and hives are of different sizes. 1.0000g is not what is required. Your doctor will, on occasions, regulate drug dosage dependent on body mass, but most usually you get 'take one (or half, or two) so many times a day.

Same with apiguard - one tray a fortnight apart. Rough and ready. The danger arises for those that cannot read, cannot think for themselves and do not follow the simple guidelines set out for their types.

If you don't have the expertise, go with the proprietary stuff is my advice.

I have just found out that you can overdose with no real harm.

I probably used a level teaspoon full, below the open mesh floor, I reasoned that as not all the vapour would enter the hive I needed more.

Few of the bees crawled out and clung to the outside of the hive....the following morning the hive was full of life and going about its business.

Why can't you buy a proper kitchen balance. £ 15 and you get good with 1 g accuracy.

Calibrate it with coins that it is ok. Why it should be cheapest on market £ 5.

Not true. Yes, there is a range of dosage where below means ineffective and excess means harm to the bees.

In between, there is a particular point of maximum efficacy, therefore optimum dosage. Seriously 'overdosing' cannot be seen to be good. It may well not harm the bees, up to a point, but the honey may well contain excessive medicant. Not good if the bee inspectors, or trading standards, determine your methods to be non-compliant.

Think about it.

Not true. Yes, there is a range of dosage where below means ineffective and excess means harm to the bees.

it.

IT is strange that guy's cannot follow recipe. What is so difficult on it!

In between, there is a particular point of maximum efficacy, therefore optimum dosage.

Think about it.

And surely that would depend on the volume of the hive, the number of frames and bees, ambient temperature, the amount of vapour that escapes from the hive etc.

there is a danger of spurious precision?

In between, there is a particular point of maximum efficacy, therefore optimum dosage.

Think about it.

And surely that would depend on the volume of the hive, the number of frames and bees, ambient temperature, the amount of vapour that escapes from the hive etc.

Not really.

Simple rules:

Big hive on two brood boxes: 3.5g (and no more)
One box: 2.5g
Nuc 1-1.5g.

Period.
KISS

Latest posts

Back